Loading ...

Help! Single phase to three-phase converter on UPS output? | Data Center & Facility 3 Phase UPS

Home » Spaces » Data Center & Facility 3 Phase UPS » discussion » General » Help! Single phase to three-phase converter on UPS output?

Help! Single phase to three-phase converter on UPS output?

Discussion in Data Center & Facility 3 Phase UPS started by blacky , 7/16/2020 6:23 AM
Login to follow, share, and participate in this space.
Not a member?Join now
Posted in: General

Help! Single phase to three-phase converter on UPS output?

Subscribe to RSS
  • Hey team! I have a single-phase output UPS that I need to power a three-phase input DC supply. It's going to cost me way too much to replace either of the units. How practical would it be for me to add a 1-phase to 3-phase converter between my UPS and DC supply? I know I stand to lose ~1/3 capacity on the converter; are there any other considerations I'm overlooking? Do any of you have a good schematic that shows standard converter electronics?

• The intent is to go with an off-the-shelf item.

The Ultimate Problem I need to solve is as stated: I have a 1 phase output from my UPS, but it needs to supply a three phase load.

Plan: buy a 1-to-3 phase converter to solve the problem. Having never used one before I was looking for a circuit diagram to better understand what I'm putting into my system. Also looking for any practical advice on using a 1-to-3 phase converter - any considerations I might be overlooking.

Thanks!

upsers

• This discussion is marked as answered
    On 12/12/2020 6:42 PM, Mitchel said:

any considerations I might be overlooking.

Voltage. 3 Phase is 120 degrees separated whereas your single phase voltage will translate directly through the converter. If you were in Australia for example, on 230V mains you'd normally have a nominal 415V three phase. Using a converter you get 230V 3 phase. You'll need to look carefully at the output of the converter to make sure it's what you really need. Additionally, the cheap-mid market converters tend to have really poor input power factor with direct rectified mains rather than using a PFC boost converter, so you'll want to make sure the UPS is happy with that.

• On 5/1/2021 12:35 PM, Patricia said:

What's the probability that it will work completely fine without any issues in it.

About the same probability you'd come back after 24 hours and insert a spam link in your post. Oh, gee. Look at that!

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Choose your language: