Loading ...
Home » Spaces » UPS Management Devices & PowerChute Software » discussion » General » SUA1500RM2U - AP9617 - APC 940-0020C serial cable not communicating, cant reset AP9617

SUA1500RM2U - AP9617 - APC 940-0020C serial cable not communicating, cant reset AP9617

Discussion in UPS Management Devices & PowerChute Software started by john , 13 days ago
Login to follow, share, and participate in this space.
Not a member?Join now
Announcement 

Please review Schneider Electric Knowledge Base articles for assistance with most technical support questions.  http://www.apc.com/us/en/faqs

• Spazhead
    john
    New Member New Member
    john 13 days ago

Hi, I bought a used SUA1500RM2U that came with the AP9617 management card.  I read in the manual that i need a APC serial cable to connect to PC to reset the AP9617.  I bought a new cable off ebay APC 940-0020C.  

I hooked up the serial and set my only serial port to 2400-8-N-1-N COM1 in windows

I used putty and set it to the same serial speed above.

pressed enter in putty, nothing on the screen.

tried different speeds 9600-8-N-1-N

reconnect with putty, no output on screen.

then i tried to do the reset procedure anyways.

pressed and released the reset button on AP9617 card,  LED flash quickly, I pressed and released the reset button again.

i then pressed my enter button continuously until the LED stop flashing and remained steady pressed some more.

Still no prompt on my PUTTY.

I then removed the AP9617 card out of the UPS think it may be defective.

try connecting serial with putty again, nothing on screen.

then i removed the battery from the AP9617 and left it alone for a week, hoping it would lose it settings, but still nothing.

any help is appreciated, or do i have a defective serial port an/or AP9617?

BTW, when I plug the UPS using the USB cable to my UNRAID server, it reads everything about the UPS no problem.

I just want to try to get the AP9617 card working

Thanks

• voidstar
    voidstar
    Expert Expert
    voidstar 12 days ago (in response to john)

I believe on that UPS using USB disables the serial port. To re-enable the serial port, unplug the UPS and its battery, wait for a few seconds for the fan to stop spinning and the lights to go out, and then re-assemble the unit.

• wpasquil
    Bill
    =S= Representative
      This discussion is marked as answered
    Bill 10 days ago (in response to john)

Hi,

You need smart signalling cable 940-0024. Cable 940-0020 is simple signalling meaning it is one way communications. From UPS to computer. The smart signalling cable is two way. 

• Spazhead
    john
    New Member New Member
    john 9 days ago (in response to Bill)

ok thanks Bill i will get another cable!

John

On 1/7/2019 11:23 AM, Bill said:

Hi,

You need smart signalling cable 940-0024. Cable 940-0020 is simple signalling meaning it is one way communications. From UPS to computer. The smart signalling cable is two way. 

• Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Choose your language: