Loading ...

SMT1500R2X180 & GFI Outlets | Smart-UPS & Symmetra LX / RM

Home » Spaces » Smart-UPS & Symmetra LX / RM » discussion » General » SMT1500R2X180 & GFI Outlets

SMT1500R2X180 & GFI Outlets

Discussion in Smart-UPS & Symmetra LX / RM started by Brian , 9/9/2019 4:58 PM
Login to follow, share, and participate in this space.
Not a member?Join now
Posted in: General

SMT1500R2X180 & GFI Outlets

Subscribe to RSS
  • BrianF

So I've got a homelab set up in a room built behind the garage.  The room is wired as part of the garage electrical, with a GFI outlet as the last outlet in the garage circuit a couple of feet from the breaker panel.

In the server cabinet is an SMT1500R2X180 w/ new batteries.  I just got the UPS unit a week ago and replaced the batteries in it.  However, it tripped the GFI circuit it's plugged into after several hours.

Since the house is built in the 80s, I replaced the GFI outlet with a brand new Leviton GFNT2-W outlet.  It takes somewhere between 24-48 hours, but it trips the new GFI outlet as well.

I've done a lot of reading about how UPS units naturally have leakage current by design, which is why the GFI is tripping.  However, the APC page on GFI circuits indicates there are many working UPS units with GFI circuits.

So my question is, are there any UPS-friendly GFI outlets out there?  Or is my best bet to replace the GFI outlet with a normal outlet and replace the breaker itself with a GFI breaker?

Replacing the GFI outlet with a non-GFI outlet in the garage isn't really an option without the breaker because it's code here to have all garage outlets be GFI protected.  Since the room behind the garage shares the same wiring, I'm stuck... and re-wiring isn't an option right now.

Regards,

Brian

Page 1 of 1 (1 items)
Choose your language: