Loading ...

UPS not found on AP9630 | Smart-UPS & Symmetra LX / RM

Home » Spaces » Smart-UPS & Symmetra LX / RM » discussion » General » UPS not found on AP9630

UPS not found on AP9630

Discussion in Smart-UPS & Symmetra LX / RM started by Michael , 8/30/2019 2:38 PM
Login to follow, share, and participate in this space.
Not a member?Join now
Posted in: General

UPS not found on AP9630

Subscribe to RSS
  • mikeydk

I got an SMX3000RMHV2UNC with a AP9630 in.

The UPS havent had a management card in before, so maybe it can be a firmware problem?

I have loaded the card with the sumx v6.7.2 firmware, which I found somewhere on the forum should be the right one to have on.

Both UPS and management card have been reset to factory, still without luck.

• wpasquil

Hi,

Can you log into the NMC via telnet and if so could you provide a screenshot of the opening page?

• mikeydk

Here it is

Attachments
  • wpasquil

Hi,

Have you tried to flash the NMC firmware? If not, I suggest flashing the firmware using the manual - FTP method as listed in FAQ http://www.apc.com/us/en/faqs/FA156047

• mikeydk

Yes, it got v6.7.2 on.

• wpasquil

Hi,

Do you have another card you could test in the SMX and or another Smart-UPS you could test the AP9630 in? If so that would pin point which unit is experiencing a fault. 

• mikeydk

I have tried the card in another ups, and it work as expected in that one

• s.v.s

Hi Michael,

Taking into account the card works in another UPS, you could first try performing a logic reset on the SMX, and if that doesn't change the behavior, upgrading the UPS firmware.

• mikeydk

Tried the reset, that didn't change anything. I then tried to upgrade the firmware. The display on the UPS says it is firmware 7.4, so according to the page about updating, it can be done over USB.

I have connected the UPS via USB, and under device manager I can see it showing up as a battery. But when I run the update too, it tells me it can't be updated over serial, and I must use USB.... but I am using USB.

• mikeydk

IT WORKS! laughing

I could not get the update wizard to work on my desktop, but my laptop when running on battery managed to get it "updated" from 7.4 to 7.4.... and whatever changed, made the UPS want to communicate with the AP9630 too.

• mikeydk

And I only just managed to post that......

Then this happened...

Looks like it only works when it is connected to a computer via USB?

• mikeydk

What can be wrong when the managment card can only communicate with the ups, when the ups is connected to a computer over usb?

I don't see anything in the manual mentioning some kind of external power or something to the logic.

• wpasquil

Hi,

The NMCs is designed to communicate directly with the UPS. YOU should not have to connect a USB cable to the UPS for comm to be established. Since you have previously flashed the firmware of both the UPS and NMC and have tested the NMC in a different UPS one other troubleshooting step would be to test the UPS with a different NMC if available. If the second NMC fails I recommend you contact local support. You should reference this forum thread when discussing troubleshooting step. 

Local support contact information will be found at this link. https://www.apc.com/us/en/support/contact-us/index.jsp You may need to change the region in the upper left of the web page depending on your location.

• mikeydk

This is starting to get pretty strange.

The NMC can find and communicate with the UPS, but only if the UPS is connected to a computer via USB. I have tried to just connect the USB port to a USB power supply, that didn't work. I then went back to connecting it to a computer via USB, and the NMC and UPS found each other again. I have now tried to power off my laptop, and take the battery out. The NMC and UPS are still communicating... as soon as I disconnect USB, the connection between NMC and UPS is lost again.

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
Choose your language: