Loading ...

New to APC newbie question | Smart-UPS & Symmetra LX / RM

Home » Spaces » Smart-UPS & Symmetra LX / RM » discussion » General » New to APC newbie question

New to APC newbie question

Discussion in Smart-UPS & Symmetra LX / RM started by Cory , 8/23/2019 2:00 PM
Login to follow, share, and participate in this space.
Not a member?Join now
Posted in: General

New to APC newbie question

Subscribe to RSS
  • cory_booth

I recently installed an APC SMX1500RM2U on Firmware Version: ID20UPS 09.1 into a home network rack supporting Ubiquity networking hardware.  My goal is to remain online and protect my network hardware from power fluctuations during storms.  The devices connected are Modem, Router, two Switches, NAS, and a Cisco CVO.

As with anything new, my first step was to upgrade the firmware but I am a bit perplexed. 

It calls to shut down the power outlet groups before performing the upgrade.  So I have a silly question, does shutting down the outlet groups via the APC UI actually kill the power (as long as there is 110v)?  If this is true, and my network equipment is using those groups, I assume I have to take a different approach?

I assume, in this case, the USB and Wizard would be most appropriate?  I also assume the power needs to be shut down for the wizard as well?

Also, to ensure I have the right flash file, I observed my ID is 20.

UPS 09.1 (ID20)

However, navigating here: https://www.apc.com/us/en/faqs/content/?id=FA170679

I did not find a file for "20"

Any advice for a newbie in this world?

• wpasquil

Hello,

On 8/23/2019 10:00 AM, Cory said:

So I have a silly question, does shutting down the outlet groups via the APC UI actually kill the power

Yes. Output from the UPS would be stop so any connected equipment should be shut off prior to starting the upgrade process. 

I assume, in this case, the USB and Wizard would be most appropriate?

Correct.

See Schneider Electric FAQ FA281865 

I also assume the power needs to be shut down for the wizard as well?

Correct. 

• cory_booth

Lastly,

Using the guidance here and via PDF - I see the ID20 is no longer an available download?

I will be installing the wizard soon, does the wizard auto-choose the correct firmware?

Any reason the "20" firmware was pulled from "Box.net"?

• s.v.s

Hi Cory,

Some of the ID20 firmware images are bundled with the firmware upgrade wizard. The wizard will allow you to select the firmware image from a list of bundled files, or browse for a locally saved firmware image - in either case it will not allow you to select an image that is not compatible with your specific UPS model and ID. I have seen a few isolated cases where the ID20 10.1 (SMT20UPS_10-1.enc) firmware rev. caused some issues on SMX models, so I recommend downloading the accompanying Firmware Update Images linked in the FAQ article, and upgrading to ID20 09.9 (SMT20UPS_09-9.enc). 

• cory_booth

Thank you - all...

We are good to go on: 10.1

I have my temperature probes on their way as well.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Choose your language: