Loading ...

Why does my UPS suddenly shut off when power is lost? | Smart-UPS & Symmetra LX / RM

Home » Spaces » Smart-UPS & Symmetra LX / RM » discussion » General » Why does my UPS suddenly shut off when power is lost?

Why does my UPS suddenly shut off when power is lost?

Discussion in Smart-UPS & Symmetra LX / RM started by Daniel , 8/12/2019 9:16 PM
Login to follow, share, and participate in this space.
Not a member?Join now
Posted in: General

Why does my UPS suddenly shut off when power is lost?

Subscribe to RSS
  • FatalXCept10n

I have a Smart-UPS 8000 with 2 battery packs. It has worked properly for the past 10 years. We just replaced the batteries 2 weeks ago and the UpS has passed its self tests. We had our first power outage since the replacement, and spent half the day recovering. The UPS reports two events within 15 seconds that the UPS output power was turned off and then 15 seconds later the output power was turned back on. No one was in the room at the time. Any idea why our UPS did not protect us? It has worked fine every time in the past and when we replaced the batteries nothing was unplugged. Thanks!

• UnexpectedBill

I would be suspicious of the replacement batteries or the wiring associated with them. Perhaps something was overlooked or even went bad (like a fuse).

If you have a good quality DC voltmeter, you could find out if voltage is present at the battery terminals that connect to the rest of the UPS. I'm not sure what the nominal battery voltage on a large UPS like yours is, but it ought to be considerable. Disconnect the batteries from the rest of the UPS first to avoid a misleading result.

• FatalXCept10n

The wiring hasn’t changed, and we replaced all 8 batteries 3 weeks ago. When we lose power, the UPS logs an event that power was turned off to the output receptacles. This is logged when the power goes out and 15 seconds later there is an event logged that power was turned on. The ups shows all batteries in good health and less than 30% load with 26 minutes of run time. 

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Choose your language: