Loading ...
Home » Spaces » Smart-UPS & Symmetra LX / RM » discussion » General » Connecting MY Smart UPS to an Inverter

Connecting MY Smart UPS to an Inverter

Discussion in Smart-UPS & Symmetra LX / RM started by Sandipan , 10 days ago
Login to follow, share, and participate in this space.
Not a member?Join now
  • UnderstandingConcepts
    Sandipan
    New Member New Member
    Sandipan 10 days ago

So I have connected my BR1500G to a Square Wave Output Inverter and the UPS is switching to main and battery whenever the Inverter is going to Backup mode but I was told by APC Service team that if I use a pure sinewave output inverter it will just work fine

So will it work fine if I get a pure sine wave output inverter?

• SecretSquirrel
    Secret Squirrel
    =S= Representative
    Secret Squirrel 9 days ago (in response to Sandipan)

Hi Sandipan,

The UPS is designed to monitor the quality of the sine-wave it is being provided and switch to battery power when deemed necessary. The Square-wave output of the Inverter will definitely not be accepted by the UPS. As long as the inverter you are using outputs a Pure Sine-wave with RMS voltage within the correct 120vac/60hz range and minimal harmonic distortion, the UPS should accept the power.

Secret Squirrel

• Terry_Kennedy
    Terry
    Apprentice Apprentice
    Terry 9 days ago (in response to Secret Squirrel)

One other thing to consider when powering a UPS via an inverter or generator is that when the UPS powers on, it will pull current from the inverter / generator which may cause the inverter / generator to reduce its voltage and /or frequency to compensate for the load. This can cause the UPS to transfer to battery due to "unacceptable input power". That lets the inverter / generator recover, and when the UPS senses that it will transfer off battery and the cycle will repeat over and over. This generally means that you need a substantially higher wattage inverter / generator than you would think, based on the UPS nameplate rating.

I think there used to be a knowledge base article on this, but that was decades ago and those have been re-organized multiple times since then.

Edit: I found it (or something similar) - FA158891. It looks like FA158842 and FA157508 may also apply.

• Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Choose your language: