Loading ...

SMX1000I and battery packs | Smart-UPS & Symmetra LX / RM

Home » Spaces » Smart-UPS & Symmetra LX / RM » discussion » General » SMX1000I and battery packs

SMX1000I and battery packs

Discussion in Smart-UPS & Symmetra LX / RM started by Adrian , 1/29/2011 10:59 AM
Login to follow, share, and participate in this space.
Not a member?Join now
Posted in: General

SMX1000I and battery packs

Subscribe to RSS
  • btspce

Does anyone have a SMX120RMBP2U (120volts) they can open up and check?

• Sparky1

The resistor - brown black black orange gold - I get 100 k ohms.  Are you sure it's 10 k ohms?  Has your resistor and external battery back performed as expected?  Also, manual for the UPS on page 31 mentions a battery serial number.  No worries there?

• _ADI_
    On 1/21/2014 10:24 AM, K said:

I realise this reply is nearly a year old, but never mind. I got a 48v SMX battery pack recently so thought I'd post my findings.

I am NOT an electrical guy - I know enough to be dangerous, and I have destroyed many things. So, take this with a pinch of salt.

The battery +1 counter seems to be based on a 10K resistor between -ve and one of the additional pins on the battery connector. It looks like APC's patent# US7737580 covers the theory: http://www.google.co.uk/patents/US7737580

Inside the battery pack there is also an Airpax thermal switch and what I think is an inductor. If anyone is doing their own DIY batteries, the thermal switch does seem to be a logical & probably essential safety feature, but in this case it's inbetween the two batteries - I'd prefer two thermal switches/fuses, one each battery, perhaps? The inductor is the limit of my electrical knowledge - I have no idea why it's there, and my brain hurts when I google it.

I've attached some images. Try not to blow yourselves up. The comments in the images say "pin 1" and "pin 2" - I'm referring to the two middle pins on the battery connector, NOT to +ve and -ve.

2119_01.jpg

Hello!

Pfu, it's been a couple of years since I started this post, and didn't follow it after a while. Now, accidentally I found it, and I am very surprised of what I found. Great to see this! Thank you very much, for posting the PCB inside the original battery pack. WOW. Looks like it's preety simple. Anyway, I have a question:

The white connector on this PCB, has nothing to do with the + and - wires from the battery... The load, when the ups it's on battery won't pass through this. Is that right?

The pins on this small white connector, are going to those 2 small wires in the middle of the anderson's connector? ( wich righ now. in my case, are disconnected, since I use only + and - from the battery pack)

-bat ve - means that is the - ground from the battery?

So, Pin 2 and pin 1 are the 2 small wires in the middle of Anderson's plug. 

Am I right?

I must say to you guys, that I am preety amazed how this UPS manage the batteries. I bought the UPS, in January 2011, and now, after 6 years I have the same batteries. (also in UPS and in battery pack) I tested the batteries last autnum, and they still have great run time.

Preety impressing!

Thank you!
    Adrian!

• _ADI_

Hello again!

I don't know if someone is still following or will follow this topic, but I just want to say that I managed to trick the UPS, after I read the information posted by "K".

I put a 10k trimmer between the ground from battery and the wire that are in the middle of the anderson plug. (more exactly, the connector that is next to the ground) Because I don't have that special anderson power connector... in order to do this, I used the 4pin-12V connector wires from an ATX power supply. The connector almoust perfectly fits there, and is making ferm contact.

So, the UPS automatically detects 1 pack...as the trimmer is at 10k value.
    I guess, if I turn it to 8k, the UPS detects 2 packs... and so on... until the limit of 5, wich has to be at 2K.

I don't want to copy 1 to 1, that PCB, because the thermocouple  and that inductor is just something that I can leave without.

Anyhow, I ordered LCD displays, and I will install temperature probes for monitoring the voltage and temperature for every battery in the chain. So, you can easy monitor the status of batteries in the chain.
    When I will finish install them, the battery pack will be more smart than the original :)

"Evan" says ( in previously post):

"The Smart-UPS X 1500 manual says you can add up to five external APC battery banks (SMX48RMBP2U). After looking up the specs on these external units I found they are made up of eight 8Ah cells wired series parallel to make 48v with a capacity of 16Ah total for each bank so if my math is correct, five of these units plus the onboard battery is a total of 88Ah which seems like unfortunately the largest capacity this unit will recognize."

A small correction to the maths... from what I know so far, the original battery pack from APC.. has 8pcs of 12v 9AH,

Battery Volt-Amp-Hour Capacity: 864 (as stated by APC) ..this means 18 AH. capacity. * 5 (nr of max packs) gives you 90Ah max.
    Thank you again for your posts.
    Best regards,
    Adrian
  • _ADI_

Hello!

I came back with some pictures for my final version of external battery pack.

Thank you again for sharing the information of the PCB inside the original pack. 

Best regards,

Adrian.

• anonimouse

Hi,

Sorry to revive this thread, but I am also looking into 'hacking' the SMX1000I. I saw your setup and thought you would be the best to ask. I am was planning to use a similar approach to this but was just planning to use 4 12V 120Ah in series to extend its life. Is there a way for the UPS to detect this battery given that in previous posts it was computed to have a maximum AH of around 90AH. If not, would this system still work even if the battery does not recognize the correct capacity of the batteries?

• _ADI_

Hello,

If you are still interested I can reply to you later today. Now I have to go to work. Just tell me, since this post is almoust a month old. 

Best regards,

Adrian

• alexra

Hi Adrian,
    I've decided to follow your setup to expand the capacity, and was wondering if you can share the whole schematics you've done including the temp/voltage probes.

Best regards, 
    Alex R

• _ADI_

Hi Alex. In the link bellow, it's a PDF. you have there the answer I gave to Jared, since I dont have much time now, to rewrite all the info.

APC SMX1000i external back pack - DIY

Best regards,

Adrian.

• alexra

Awesone! will post the setup once I’m done with it... after vacation!

P.S. Mulțumesc!

/Alex

• _ADI_

Have a nice vacation!

Are you from Romania?:)

• alexra

Thanks! And yes, m originally from Romania.

• _ADI_

Cool! Then we can talk in private in our own language, if you have questions. Have a nice vacation!

• alexra

If someone is searching for the Anderson connector, it's a SBS75X (white key), which apparently was never released (proprietary for APC?)
    Details about the connector can be found in the attached pdf. 

At this point another option (expensive) is to get an APC SMX039-2 cable and use the housing with own wires.

/Alex

Page 2 of 2 (39 items)
Choose your language: