Loading ...

SMX1000I and battery packs | Smart-UPS & Symmetra LX / RM

Home » Spaces » Smart-UPS & Symmetra LX / RM » discussion » General » SMX1000I and battery packs

SMX1000I and battery packs

Discussion in Smart-UPS & Symmetra LX / RM started by Adrian , 1/29/2011 10:59 AM
Login to follow, share, and participate in this space.
Not a member?Join now
Posted in: General

SMX1000I and battery packs

Subscribe to RSS
  • btspce

Does anyone have a SMX120RMBP2U (120volts) they can open up and check?

• Sparky1

The resistor - brown black black orange gold - I get 100 k ohms.  Are you sure it's 10 k ohms?  Has your resistor and external battery back performed as expected?  Also, manual for the UPS on page 31 mentions a battery serial number.  No worries there?

• _ADI_
    On 1/21/2014 10:24 AM, K said:

I realise this reply is nearly a year old, but never mind. I got a 48v SMX battery pack recently so thought I'd post my findings.

I am NOT an electrical guy - I know enough to be dangerous, and I have destroyed many things. So, take this with a pinch of salt.

The battery +1 counter seems to be based on a 10K resistor between -ve and one of the additional pins on the battery connector. It looks like APC's patent# US7737580 covers the theory: http://www.google.co.uk/patents/US7737580

Inside the battery pack there is also an Airpax thermal switch and what I think is an inductor. If anyone is doing their own DIY batteries, the thermal switch does seem to be a logical & probably essential safety feature, but in this case it's inbetween the two batteries - I'd prefer two thermal switches/fuses, one each battery, perhaps? The inductor is the limit of my electrical knowledge - I have no idea why it's there, and my brain hurts when I google it.

I've attached some images. Try not to blow yourselves up. The comments in the images say "pin 1" and "pin 2" - I'm referring to the two middle pins on the battery connector, NOT to +ve and -ve.

2119_01.jpg

Hello!

Pfu, it's been a couple of years since I started this post, and didn't follow it after a while. Now, accidentally I found it, and I am very surprised of what I found. Great to see this! Thank you very much, for posting the PCB inside the original battery pack. WOW. Looks like it's preety simple. Anyway, I have a question:

The white connector on this PCB, has nothing to do with the + and - wires from the battery... The load, when the ups it's on battery won't pass through this. Is that right?

The pins on this small white connector, are going to those 2 small wires in the middle of the anderson's connector? ( wich righ now. in my case, are disconnected, since I use only + and - from the battery pack)

-bat ve - means that is the - ground from the battery?

So, Pin 2 and pin 1 are the 2 small wires in the middle of Anderson's plug. 

Am I right?

I must say to you guys, that I am preety amazed how this UPS manage the batteries. I bought the UPS, in January 2011, and now, after 6 years I have the same batteries. (also in UPS and in battery pack) I tested the batteries last autnum, and they still have great run time.

Preety impressing!

Thank you!
    Adrian!

• _ADI_

Hello again!

I don't know if someone is still following or will follow this topic, but I just want to say that I managed to trick the UPS, after I read the information posted by "K".

I put a 10k trimmer between the ground from battery and the wire that are in the middle of the anderson plug. (more exactly, the connector that is next to the ground) Because I don't have that special anderson power connector... in order to do this, I used the 4pin-12V connector wires from an ATX power supply. The connector almoust perfectly fits there, and is making ferm contact.

So, the UPS automatically detects 1 pack...as the trimmer is at 10k value.
    I guess, if I turn it to 8k, the UPS detects 2 packs... and so on... until the limit of 5, wich has to be at 2K.

I don't want to copy 1 to 1, that PCB, because the thermocouple  and that inductor is just something that I can leave without.

Anyhow, I ordered LCD displays, and I will install temperature probes for monitoring the voltage and temperature for every battery in the chain. So, you can easy monitor the status of batteries in the chain.
    When I will finish install them, the battery pack will be more smart than the original :)

"Evan" says ( in previously post):

"The Smart-UPS X 1500 manual says you can add up to five external APC battery banks (SMX48RMBP2U). After looking up the specs on these external units I found they are made up of eight 8Ah cells wired series parallel to make 48v with a capacity of 16Ah total for each bank so if my math is correct, five of these units plus the onboard battery is a total of 88Ah which seems like unfortunately the largest capacity this unit will recognize."

A small correction to the maths... from what I know so far, the original battery pack from APC.. has 8pcs of 12v 9AH,

Battery Volt-Amp-Hour Capacity: 864 (as stated by APC) ..this means 18 AH. capacity. * 5 (nr of max packs) gives you 90Ah max.
    Thank you again for your posts.
    Best regards,
    Adrian
  • _ADI_

Hello!

I came back with some pictures for my final version of external battery pack.

Thank you again for sharing the information of the PCB inside the original pack. 

Best regards,

Adrian.

• anonimouse

Hi,

Sorry to revive this thread, but I am also looking into 'hacking' the SMX1000I. I saw your setup and thought you would be the best to ask. I am was planning to use a similar approach to this but was just planning to use 4 12V 120Ah in series to extend its life. Is there a way for the UPS to detect this battery given that in previous posts it was computed to have a maximum AH of around 90AH. If not, would this system still work even if the battery does not recognize the correct capacity of the batteries?

• _ADI_

Hello,

If you are still interested I can reply to you later today. Now I have to go to work. Just tell me, since this post is almoust a month old. 

Best regards,

Adrian

Page 2 of 2 (32 items)
Choose your language: