Loading ...

Back-UPS 1350 - Battery disconnected and overloaded, new battery new unit | Back-UPS & Surge Protectors

Home » Spaces » Back-UPS & Surge Protectors » discussion » General » Back-UPS 1350 - Battery disconnected and overloaded, new battery new unit

Back-UPS 1350 - Battery disconnected and overloaded, new battery new unit

Discussion in Back-UPS & Surge Protectors started by Colin , 5/11/2020 5:42 PM
Login to follow, share, and participate in this space.
Not a member?Join now
Posted in: General

Back-UPS 1350 - Battery disconnected and overloaded, new battery new unit

Subscribe to RSS
  • colincwilliams1

Hi folks!

I'm having a strange problem with my UPS and while I'm also working with APC technical support, I want to see about getting some extra ideas for what might be happening.

Model (from PowerChute): Back-UPS NS 1350M2

Sporadically (with the original unit it varied from once a week to a few times in a single day), PowerChute is popping the following warnings: battery disconnected; unit overloaded; and device malfunction, I should contact APC for a replacement. When this occurs, the unit starts beeping as if the power has been disconnected, the time remaining drops incredibly rapidly and then it hibernates my computer. Shortly after that, the unit power cycles, resulting in everything connected to the battery briefly losing power. After that everything returns to normal.

The original UPS was roughly 6-8 months old when this started, so I reached out for warranty support. Working with them I received a replacement battery and reset the unit (disconnect battery, hold down power button) multiple times, but the issue kept happening. They then sent me a full warranty replacement, for the whole unit (including another new battery), and this morning the issue happened once again, about a week after I received and installed the replacement unit.

When I caught it this morning, I was able to confirm that the other plug on the same outlet seemed to be working fine. I was able to turn on a lamp and charge my phone without issue.

I'm now wondering if something connected to the UPS is causing the problem and the UPS is responding in a terrible fashion. Is it possible for those error messages to be caused by a connected device misbehaving? Looking back through email history, it seems (though I can't confirm) that this started happening around the same time I installed a PCIe USB expansion card in my computer. Perhaps that's related?

Thanks!

Colin

• colincwilliams1

Thinking this through more, it actually can't be my computer that's causing it. While I was waiting for the replacement unit to arrive, I moved my critical components (computer, router, modem) off of battery backup (to the surge-only plugs). I then had to unplug the USB connection since my computer was still hibernating when the issue occurred.

So it's still possible something plugged in is a problem, but that eliminates the largest and most complex power draw.

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Choose your language: