Loading ...

apcupsd 3.14.14 not finding Back-UPS 550 on Mac OS 10.14.5 | Back-UPS & Surge Protectors

Home » Spaces » Back-UPS & Surge Protectors » discussion » General » apcupsd 3.14.14 not finding Back-UPS 550 on Mac OS 10.14.5

apcupsd 3.14.14 not finding Back-UPS 550 on Mac OS 10.14.5

Discussion in Back-UPS & Surge Protectors started by Mark , 7/24/2019 9:21 PM
Login to follow, share, and participate in this space.
Not a member?Join now
Posted in: General

apcupsd 3.14.14 not finding Back-UPS 550 on Mac OS 10.14.5

Subscribe to RSS
  • mjmvisser

Hi, I have a Back-UPS 550 that I'd like to use to shut down two computers when the power goes out. I installed apcupsd 3.14.14 from http://www.apcupsd.org/ on the same Mac to which the Back-UPS is connected (via USB) and checked that /etc/apcupsd/apcupsd.conf is appropriately configured. The defaults seem sane:

UPSCABLE usb
    UPSTYPE usb
    DEVICE
    LOCKFILE /var/tmp
    SCRIPTDIR /etc/apcupsd
    PWRFAILDIR /etc/apcupsd
    NOLOGINDIR /etc
    ONBATTERYDELAY 6
    BATTERYLEVEL 5
    MINUTES 3
    TIMEOUT 0
    ANNOY 300
    ANNOYDELAY 60
    NOLOGON disable
    KILLDELAY 0
    NETSERVER on
    NISIP 0.0.0.0
    NISPORT 3551
    EVENTSFILE /var/log/apcupsd.events
    EVENTSFILEMAX 10

Yes, I gave the developer permission in System Preferences / Security & Privacy / General / Allow...

According to the docs, a simple kext is supposed to prevent Mac OS from finding the UPS and showing it under Energy Saver / UPS. However it still shows up under Shutdown Options as Back-UPS ES 550G FW:904.W1 .D USB FW:W1. I also checked, and though the kext is installed in /System/Library/Extensions/ApcupsdDummy.kext, kextstat doesn't show it as loaded. I also tried forcing it to load with sudo kextload. It still doesn't appear in kextstat -l. So I'm guessing there's a problem with the kext.

apcagent shows up in the status line with a red ?, shows UPS: <UNKNOWN>, and under status shows STATUS: COMMLOST. 

Each reboot, an additional "Communications with UPS lost." appears under Events.

It seems that Mac OS is grabbing the USB connection to the Back-UPS, which prevents apcupsd from connecting to it.

Not sure if related, but Mac OS also warned that either apcupsd or apcagent would not be compatible with a future Mac OS version. They probably need to be built with a newer Xcode.

Any ideas? thanks

• wpasquil

Hi,

I recommend checking the APCUPSD mail list. http://www.apcupsd.org/wordpress/email-lists/

If needed you can request assistance there of others that are running Mac OSX 10.14 with APCUPSD. 

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Choose your language: