Loading ...

SmartUPS 2200 sufficient for new IT upgrade | Server Room & Data Center Design Best Practices

Home » Spaces » Server Room & Data Center Design Best Practices » discussion » General » SmartUPS 2200 sufficient for new IT upgrade
Server Room & Data Center Design Best Practices

Leave Space :

Are you sure you want to leave this space?

Join this space:

Join this space?

Add a new tab

Add a hyperlink to the space navigation. You can link to internal or external web pages. Enter the Tab name and Tab URL. Upload or choose an icon. Then click Save.

The name that will appear in the space navigation.
The url can point to an internal or external web page.
Login to follow, share, and participate in this space.
Not a member?Join now
Posted in: General

SmartUPS 2200 sufficient for new IT upgrade

Subscribe to RSS
  • luvgaming

We have a SUA2200 with serial expansion slot protecting two servers (glorified PC's on steroids) and one workstation. We are now contemplating getting the following equipment but are unsure if the current UPS would be sufficent for safe shutdown procedures.

Four (4) HP Proliant DL360 servers - each with 2 X 700W power supplies, there will also be an external tape drive, ADSL modem and a router.

The four servers would be connected to a rack mounted PDU (HP). The PDU would then connect to the NEMA plug on the 2200 UPS.

I would appreciate any comments or suggestions.

Thanks

• Cap1

Two issues you have:
    1. The UPS is rated for 1980 watts. The new load (4x 700w) exceeds that in itself.
    2. Graceful shutdown - If you are currently using serial cables for shutdown, you're at capacity with your Interface expander card at 3 connections...

I think you're best option is to get a new UPS (perhaps another 2200) with a Network Management Card. The network card (AP9617) can perform graceful shutdowns of up to 50 servers over your network if you use the Powerchute Network Shutdown software (free).

In regards to load, the servers are likely not going to pull 700 watts of the rated power supply, so you may want to do some functional testing, but I would imagine a 2200 can handle that load. Also, with dual power supplies, you may want to look into plugging each PS into a different UPS for redundancy.

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Choose your language: