Loading ...

Backup Power for Electric Bed | Universal Transfer Switch

Home » Spaces » Universal Transfer Switch » discussion » General » Backup Power for Electric Bed
Universal Transfer Switch

Leave Space :

Are you sure you want to leave this space?

Join this space:

Join this space?

Add a new tab

Add a hyperlink to the space navigation. You can link to internal or external web pages. Enter the Tab name and Tab URL. Upload or choose an icon. Then click Save.

The name that will appear in the space navigation.
The url can point to an internal or external web page.
Login to follow, share, and participate in this space.
Not a member?Join now
Posted in: General

Backup Power for Electric Bed

Subscribe to RSS
  • walterdbn

Hi, anyone have information on the questions I asked in my previous post?
    Thanks

• walterdbn

Hello,
    I am disabled and use an electric bed designed for home use. It comes with a backup battery pack that holds 3 9volt batteries in case the power goes out when the head of the bed is sitting up and needs to be lowered.

As I live in Florida with hurricanes and intermittent power outages. I want a battery backup with more power and duration than the 9volt.

I am not sure which backup unit to get, the Back-UPS or Smart-UPS. I don't like the Smart-UPS as when the power goes out, a fan within the unit goes on and drains the power out of the battery. I can not reach the power button on the UPS when this happens and I would quickly lose all the charge.

Then there is the issue of the Wave Form type. Will "Stepped approximation to a sinewave" work for me? Remember, this bed was designed to work off of three 9volt batteries, so I'm hoping the stepped sinewave will work for me and I will not need a true Sine Wave.

What do you think?

• 1organizer

Walter - how have you resolved your issue?
    I am in the same situation and would like to buy a Smart-Ups for my Mom's electric hospital bed in case of power outages.
    Any advice is appreciated : )
    - FLA

• Erasmus
    This discussion is marked as answered

walterdbn wrote:
    Hello,
    I am disabled and use an electric bed designed for home use. It comes with a backup battery pack that holds 3 9volt batteries in case the power goes out when the head of the bed is sitting up and needs to be lowered.

As I live in Florida with hurricanes and intermittent power outages. I want a battery backup with more power and duration than the 9volt.

I am not sure which backup unit to get, the Back-UPS or Smart-UPS. I don't like the Smart-UPS as when the power goes out, a fan within the unit goes on and drains the power out of the battery. I can not reach the power button on the UPS when this happens and I would quickly lose all the charge.

Then there is the issue of the Wave Form type. Will "Stepped approximation to a sinewave" work for me? Remember, this bed was designed to work off of three 9volt batteries, so I'm hoping the stepped sinewave will work for me and I will not need a true Sine Wave.

What do you think?
    Walter,

I assume this bed uses a motor of some kind to raise/lower itself? What kind of plug does the bed use to get power from a wall outlet?

Assuming the bed does use a motor load and uses a normal three prong outlet, I think your best option would be a Smart-UPS unit. If you are referring to the fan inside the Smart-UPS unit itself, this does not detract from the battery backup time of the UPS. Some Back-UPS units also have fans. Cooling fans are necessary for large VA-sized units due to the amount of power that passes through them, and depending on the model design, to cool a larger battery. When comparing two equal VA-sized Smart-UPS and Back-UPS, the Smart-UPS will almost always have a little more runtime at a given wattage rating.

In reference to the sine wave form, I recommend a Smart-UPS unit because Smart-UPS units are known to work better with motor-based loads or loads that have higher inrush current characteristics. A pure sine-wave output is also not going to trip sensitive loads, like a stepped approximated wave sometimes can. Keep in mind that without the exact power specifications and knowledge of the bed you are using it's harder to make a recommendation, but I believe a Smart-UPS unit will guarantee the best performance.

If in doubt...you could have a friend/family member go to a store that allows full monetary returns, and buy a Back-UPS unit, test it, then return it if you have a problem with it after a day or two of using the bed, and testing the adjustments.

• walterdbn

Hi Erasmus,
    Thank you for your thorough response and all the information.

Yes, the bed does have a small motor and it has a standard 3 prong plug. I got the following info off the side of the motor case to try to determine how much power it draws:
    24 Volts DC
    Max 3.6 Amps

Can the above be used to figure this out?

Basically, I need something that will power this motor for about 30 seconds at a time, two or three times a day and hopefully for a few days - in case a bad hurricane comes through. You mentioned that the fan in the larger units will not draw down the battery backup time. But over a few hours or a day or more, won't it draw down power then?

Walter

• Erasmus

Sorry for the delay!

The fan on the unit draws a minimal amount of power, and is not enough to be an additional factor beyond our existing runtime calculations.

However, regardless of the presence of a fan on the UPS or not, our UPS' are not meant to be used in the same function as a generator, i.e. for multiple days of power supply. Based on the specs you have given, you would need a prohibitively large/expensive UPS to be able to get multiple days of power in an emergency situation. Our units would be great if you just had a lot of 30 second interruptions in power during the course of a day, and then continued with normal wall power the remainder of the day, but if you require the UPS to be on battery for days then I would have to suggest a generator instead.

• Kevkwas

Hello, you ever get anything for your electric bed?? 

Thanks Kevin 

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Choose your language: