Loading ...

UTS6H: One Circuit trips when going from Gen Power back to Utility Power | Universal Transfer Switch

Home » Spaces » Universal Transfer Switch » discussion » General » UTS6H: One Circuit trips when going from Gen Power back to Utility Power

UTS6H: One Circuit trips when going from Gen Power back to Utility Power

Discussion in Universal Transfer Switch started by Rudy , 1/30/2015 6:25 PM
Login to follow, share, and participate in this space.
Not a member?Join now
Posted in: General

UTS6H: One Circuit trips when going from Gen Power back to Utility Power

Subscribe to RSS
  • rdsias

Hi, I've got a UTS6H being powered by a Honda EU2000i. I had my first outage last week, and everything worked great. (Still have some learning to do related to load shedding). However, my issue is that whenever I got from Generator power back to Utility Power (whether when testing or with a real power outage), one circuit breaks. It's the Circuit to the kid's bedrooms. Which is the one circuit that I don't want to break. It's not a huge deal, I just have to go down and reset the circuit, but has anyone come across this and found a solution? The Kid's bedroom circuit also powers the home theater. But, when I test, everything in the home theater is off. Feel free to ask questions about the setup if that can get me to a resolution.

• ipicKedawinna

What type of breaker is it that is tripping in the panel? 

• rdsias

it's just a 15 amp circuit. Set to Lights on the UTS.

• ipicKedawinna

But what about the breaker? What type is it - a standard breaker or something like AFCI/GFCI?

• rdsias

It's a standard breaker. Though I may need to do a double check if the bathroom GFCIs are on this breaker. I didn't think they were. In fact, I have another breaker labeled by the builder as Bath GFI.

Thanks Angela.

• ipicKedawinna

Hi Rudy,

I chatted with my colleague who knows a lot more about these things than I do. He said he could only think that the circuit was actually becoming overloaded. (We asked on the AFCI/GFCI because the UTS won't work well with those). The breaker could be too sensitive, though, I imagine you have other circuits with this same one/type. Breakers aren't also super-duper accurate either so do you think you could be close to overloading this circuit by chance? And also, frequent trips may have resulted in a weak connection since they are typically meant for tripping once and replacing.

• rdsias

Thanks Angela, I'll try a new breaker and report back.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Choose your language: