13 Replies Latest reply: Nov 26, 2009 10:41 AM by ChrisInVT RSS

Powerchute Business Edition Basic - Failed to apply config profile w/AP9607

ChrisInVT Novice
Currently Being Moderated
We have a Smart-UPS 1500VA with two Windows 2003 servers and one Windows XP Pro server sucking power through it. One 2003 server is a DC, the other a NAS. The XP server is a Proxy and AntiVirus server. The DC is connected directly to the UPS VIA serial port. The Proxy & NAS are connected to the UPS's AP9607 Interface Expander VIA serial ports with the supplied cables. We are running PowerChute Business Edition Basic 7.0.2 build 110 (The software CD that came with the UPS) with the Agent/Server/Console on the DC. The Agent is also installed on the Proxy and NAS, along with the console on my desktop PC so I can administer everything without having to log into the DC.

In the Device list Configuration wizard, the Proxy & NAS are visible under Discovered Devices - but when added to Current Device List fail with the error "Failed to apply the configuration profile to servername.domainname.local". therefor, I am unable to get the other two servers to gracefully shutdown. When we had a power failure several days ago, our DC gracefully shut down, but the Proxy & NAS went down hard. I've had problems with this happening in the past and resorted to using a command file to shut down the two servers over the network (since our backbone is on another UPS). Unfortunately, it seems that this took a hike also.

In the Powechute Console, under Tools> Configure Device List, I can see the other 2 servers where I installed the agent under the Discovered Devices, but the problem is when I'm trying to add them to the Current Device List and hit "Apply" button, there's always an error saying "Failed to apply the configuration profile". Obviously the Console detects the other servers with agent installed but I can't add them to the Current Device List.

I've tried using command files (see this thread: http://www.apc-forums.com/thread.jspa?threadID=3735&tstart=0) to shut down the servers, but this stopped working out-of-the-blue. It's been over a month trying to get the command files working but it looks like APC support has abandoned me, and apparently nobody else on this forum has a clue what's going on since I've gotten no responses.

I need SOME sort of solution. We purchased this card and I'd like to get it actually working. I liked the command files because I was able to shut down other PCs on the network that were connected to a "dumb" UPS, but since that no longer works I believe it's time to get the AP9607 playing nice with the servers.

Help would be appreciated.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 8 points
  • Helpful Answers - 4 points