9 Replies Latest reply: Aug 12, 2009 10:08 AM by mtroha RSS

Newbie: Want to purchase NetBotz and the right accessories

BlueTongue Novice
Currently Being Moderated
I am pondering to purchase APC inrow cooling unit for a small computer room with 6 rack cabinets with heatload total of 30kW.
A resller also suggested me to purchase Netbotz 200.
I checked the APC website and this model can support 12 external sensors.

Q1. I reckon I just need 1 x Netbotz200. Is this correct?
Q2. Where do I actually install the Netbotz200 unit?
Q3. I think I will need 6 x temperature and humidty sensors. Right?
Q4. I also would like to put in a security camera. However, it seems like Netbotz200 does not support camera. Is this correct?
Q5. What other common sensors do you think would be useful?
  • 1. Re: Newbie: Want to purchase NetBotz and the right accessories
    vash Novice
    attached document...
  • 2. Re: Newbie: Want to purchase NetBotz and the right accessories
    mtroha Apprentice
    The NetBotz 200 actually supports up to 78 external sensors. This is achieved via 12 external sensor pod 150's, each having 6 usable ports for external temp/humidity/door probes. So, you only need the base NetBotz 200 if you are using 6 or less sensors. If you want more than 6 sensors, you would also get a Sensor Pod 150 (NBPD0150) for each additional group of 6 sensors that you want to add.

Q1. I reckon I just need 1 x Netbotz200. Is this correct?

A1. So, you only need the base NetBotz 200 if you are using 6 or less sensors. If you want more than 6 sensors, you would also get a Sensor Pod 150 (NBPD0150) for each additional group of up to 6 sensors that you want to add.

Q2. Where do I actually install the Netbotz200 unit?

A2. Normally you will mount the NetBotz 200 in the first rack in the row/environment and then daisy chain further sensor pods in racks down the row. If you only have a single unit, it might benefit you to mount it in the centrally located rack of the row and put external sensors to the right and left of the rack. In a larger datacenter, however, you would typically start at the end and then put a sensor pod 150 every few racks for more sensors.

Q3. I think I will need 6 x temperature and humidty sensors. Right?

A3. This depends highly upon the solution you choose. You can go with a value solution, best practice solution, or anywhere in between. You may want to review our white paper on best practices for monitoring physical and environmental threats in the datacenter to give you a good idea of what is recommended. You can find that here; http://www.apcmedia.com/salestools/JMON-5ZLP8M_R1_EN.pdf

At minimum, I would put one AP9335T sensor measuring the rack inlet temperature near the top of each rack (near wherever your highest piece of equipment is mounted). I would also substitue the middle AP9335T for a AP9335TH to give you a centralized humidity reading for the entire row. You may also want further temp sensors to give you better monitoring and detection of hot spots, etc...

Q4. I also would like to put in a security camera. However, it seems like Netbotz200 does not support camera. Is this correct?

A4. This is correct, The NetBotz 200 is considered the 'value offering' in the NetBotz product line. It isn't based on the same technology as other NetBotz and therefore has less functionality and a much less complex scheme of capability. If you are looking for a solution with a camera, you will want to start looking at the NBWL035x or higher. The choice here depends ultimately upon how many cameras, sensors, and what other type of sensors you may want.

Q5. What other common sensors do you think would be useful?

A5. Maybe a rope leak sensor to detect leaks from a CRAC unit. Door sensors, smoke detector (early detection within rack compared to standard building fire alarm systems), visual beacon, vibration sensor (unauthorized removal or tampering with rack equipment), temp/humidity sensor with LCD display so you can have a visual reading of the temp/humidity as you walk through the computer room, etc.. It really depends alot on your environment, what issues you forsee coming up and want to protect against, and how much of a budget you have to spend. You could probably get a budget solution for probably 2 thousand dollars or less, but a best practice solution might take you up to $5k+ quite easily.
  • 3. Re: Newbie: Want to purchase NetBotz and the right accessories
    mtroha Apprentice
    Oh yeah, here is a link to the NetBotz Compatability Matrix that will help you to see which accessories are available, and for which appliances they are able to be used with.

http://www.apcmedia.com/salestools/JHIN-7PTK7P_R0_EN.pdf
  • 4. Re: Newbie: Want to purchase NetBotz and the right accessories
    BlueTongue Novice
    mtroha, thanks for your detailed explanation. It will help me make a better decision.

I only have 6 rack cabinets and so I think I will need the following.
    I think I will buy my own IP camera because I don't want a higher (and then more expensive) Netbotz model just for connecting the camera.

1 x NBRK0201
    5 x AP9335T (temp sensor)
    1 X AP9335TH (temp & hum sensor)
    4 x AP9325 (leak sensor - I am thinking about getting 4 x InRow RD. I am going to create a new post to ask).

Q1. Do I need 1 x NBPD0150 (Rack Sensor Pod 150) to make the above to work?
    Q2. Is AP9325 the right leak sensor for InRow unit?
    Q3. Can you let me know how many RUs each of the above will occupy in the rack cabinet?
    Q4. In order that the temp sensor can be fitted to the rack cabinet, does it mean that every cabinet must be fitted with a front door and properly shut?
    Q5. Also, can the temp sensor be fitted to a non-APC rack cabinet? Must the temp sensor be fitted to the front door?

Does the above solution sound workable?
  • 5. Re: Newbie: Want to purchase NetBotz and the right accessories
    mtroha Apprentice
    Just one thing to note about the AP9325 APC Leak Sensor. This sensor is only compatible with the legacy AP9320 EMS unit and our InRow product line (each InRow unit affords a connection for one of these rope leak sensors). The rope leak sensor cannot be used in conjunction with the NetBotz 200 (Another limitation of the 200, no leak rope sensor port like the 450 and 550 units have and the 450 and 550 use a different rope leak sensor as well).

As for the rest of your questions:

Q1. Do I need 1 x NBPD0150 (Rack Sensor Pod 150) to make the above to work?

A1. Since as I explained above, you won't be able to use the 4x leak sensors on the NetBotz 200, you will then only have a total of 6 universal sensors [5 x AP9335T (temp sensor) and 1 X AP9335TH (temp & humidity sensor)]. The NetBotz 200 main module has 6 of these sensor ports so you wouldn't need the Sensor Pod 150 until you want to add further sensors.

Q2. Is AP9325 the right leak sensor for InRow unit?

A2. Yes, it is the correct sensor for any InRow cooling units. This sensor plugs directly into the mainboard of the InRow cooling unit and can then be wrappred around the unit or under the floor to detect any leak coming from the unit.

Q3. Can you let me know how many RUs each of the above will occupy in the rack cabinet?

A3. The NetBotz 200 is a 1U rack unit. If you are using APC NetShelter SX racks, you can also mount it in the provided toolless 0U mounting space. The InRow units themselves I'm sure you are aware are a full rack themselves.

Q4. In order that the temp sensor can be fitted to the rack cabinet, does it mean that every cabinet must be fitted with a front door and properly shut?

A4. I guess this depends on your environment. Your goal here is to measure and monitor the temperature of the rack inlet airflow (ie the temp of the air that your rack devices are pulling through themselves for cooling.) Most datacenter racks are fitted with a mesh front door to allow proper ventilation while also keeping the devices within the rack secure. If you don't have a front door, you would still want to find a way to mount a sensor a few inches in front of the racked appliances so you can measure the temperature of the inlet airflow. You'll also want to ensure that you're using blanking panels to achieve proper airflow and remove hotspots.

Q5. Also, can the temp sensor be fitted to a non-APC rack cabinet? Must the temp sensor be fitted to the front door?

A5. The typical mounting method is using the meshed front door, simply because its the perfect mounting location for a temp sensor that needs to measure the rack inlet temperature. If you don't have a front door, you may want to rig up some other manner of placing a sensor a couple inches in front of your racked appliances. Might need to use a bit of inginuity here, as I unfortunately dont have any experience using a rack without the front door.

Another good read is our White Paper 102: Monitoring Physical Threats in the Data Center. It can be found here http://www.apcmedia.com/salestools/JMON-5ZLP8M_R1_EN.pdf and might go over some more details on where to mount sensors.
  • 6. Re: Newbie: Want to purchase NetBotz and the right accessories
    BlueTongue Novice
    mtroha, thank you again for your very useful information.

Q1. So, from what you said, Netbotz 200 cannot monitor leakage from InRow Units. What is the lowest model of Netbotz then you would recommend me to get in order to monitor temp, humidity and leakage?

Q2. You also mentioned that with higher Netbotz model, the leak rope sensor model will be different. What is the part number of the new leak rope sensor? Would there be different leak rope sensor for InRow RC and RD?

Hopefully, I am closer to getting a workable list of products for my computer room.
  • 7. Re: Newbie: Want to purchase NetBotz and the right accessories
    mtroha Apprentice
    Q1. So, from what you said, Netbotz 200 cannot monitor leakage from InRow Units. What is the lowest model of Netbotz then you would recommend me to get in order to monitor temp, humidity and leakage?

A1. The only two units that support a rope leak sensor are the NetBotz 450 and 550 Rackmount appliances. These units are very similar, and the primary difference is scalability (18 universeal sensors + 1 beacon + 1 rope leak sensor vs. 78 universal sensors + 1 beacon + 1 rope leak sensor). They use the same temp sensors etc as the 200.

Q2. You also mentioned that with higher Netbotz model, the leak rope sensor model will be different. What is the part number of the new leak rope sensor? Would there be different leak rope sensor for InRow RC and RD?

A2. The part you listed earlier was the proper model for the InRow RC and RD units as well as the older APC Environmental Monitoring System (AP9320). The newer rope leak sensor that was designed to work with the NetBotz 450 and 550 is the NBES0308. There are also 20ft extensions for the cable sold as NBES0309. You can use up to 4 of the extensions in conjunction with 1 NBES0308.
  • 8. Re: Newbie: Want to purchase NetBotz and the right accessories
    BlueTongue Novice
    A1. The only two units that support a rope leak sensor are the NetBotz 450 and 550 Rackmount appliances.
    These units are very similar, and the primary difference is scalability (18 universeal sensors + 1 beacon + 1 rope leak sensor vs. 78 universal sensors + 1 beacon + 1 rope leak sensor).
    mtroha
    Q1. In your reply above, you seem to suggest that NetBotz 450 and 550 can only support one_ rope leak sensor? However, in my case, I need to detect leak in 4 x InRow Units. Am I missing anything here?
    Q2. Is there a difference between a leak sensor and a rope leak sensor?
    Q3. Why is it called rope leak sensor? What is the rope used for?

Anyway, is this the right shopping list?

1 x NBRK0450
    5 x AP9335T
    1 X AP9335TH
    4 x NBES0308
  • 9. Re: Newbie: Want to purchase NetBotz and the right accessories
    mtroha Apprentice
    Q1. In your reply above, you seem to suggest that NetBotz 450 and 550 can only support one rope leak sensor? However, in my case, I need to detect leak in 4 x InRow Units. Am I missing anything here?

A1. Correct, each NetBotz 450 or 550 only support a single leak rope sensor. So you would need 4 of the 450's to have 4 individual leak rope sensors. As I mentioned before, the InRow units themselves have the capability to connect a APC leak rope directly to the Inrow unit itself. Then the InRow unit will notify you if a leak is detected. ie the leak detection doesn't have to be the responsability of the NetBotz (and is much cheaper if you use the native leak detection monitoring of the InRow units).

Q2. Is there a difference between a leak sensor and a rope leak sensor?

A2. There is a Rope Leak Sensor and a Spot Fluid Detector. The rope is a long piece of rope that you can surround an object with to detect leaks in any direction. The spot fluid detector needs to be strategically placed in order to detect leaks (such as within a drip tray or a lower corner of the room on the floor).

Q3. Why is it called rope leak sensor? What is the rope used for?

Q3. I think A2 answers this question.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 8 points
  • Helpful Answers - 4 points