1 2 Previous Next 24 Replies Latest reply: Dec 11, 2013 2:53 AM by amichai RSS

"Replace Battery" and annoying beeping on APC Back-UPS XS 1200

abbynormal Member
Currently Being Moderated
I took my office apart to have new flooring installed and two days later put it back together, including plugging things back into my APC. Now, the red "Replace Battery" light stays on constantly and every half hour or so I get 15 seconds of loud annoying beeping.

Any way to find out what the problem is? It worked fine before unplugging everything and then plugging it back in. At the very least, I'd like to stop the beeping. I understand APC is just trying to give me a warning, but they should give me a way to turn off the warning - these things go in people's offices!
  • 1. Re: "Replace Battery" and annoying beeping on APC Back-UPS XS 1200
    Kevin P. Apprentice
    You should only be receiving a notification of a replace battery for one minute every five hours. I would recommend disconnecting all equipment from the UPS at the end of the day, and allow the UPS to remain on overnight, to receive a full charge. At that point, depress the test button for 10 seconds, and that will initiate a self-test. That should clear the replace battery LED and audible tone. If not, the battery would need replacing.
  • 2. Re: "Replace Battery" and annoying beeping on APC Back-UPS XS 1200
    abbynormal Member
    Wow, thank you! I'll try that tonight.
  • 3. Re: "Replace Battery" and annoying beeping on APC Back-UPS XS 1200
    abbynormal Member
    Is there any way to simply stop the audible tone? The battery may need replacing, but I'm not going to do it, and I don't want to hear that noise all the time any more.
  • 4. Re: "Replace Battery" and annoying beeping on APC Back-UPS XS 1200
    Kevin P. Apprentice
    Hello,

The only way to stop the audible tone altogether would be to install the PowerChute Personal Edition software and select "disable battery backup alarms at all times" in the Notification section of the software.
  • 5. Re: "Replace Battery" and annoying beeping on APC Back-UPS XS 1200
    tomf Member
    hello, i have two APC UPS devices (both are Back-UPS RS 1000).

i also recently started hearing that one-minute long series of rapid beeps from one of the units, every 5 hours or so (it's quite annoying).

so after searching this forum and reading the above post, i was hopeful about turning off the beeping. i downloaded the latest PowerChute v1.3.4 for OS X, installed it, connected the USB cable, it recognized the UPS... all good, except there is no 'notification section' displayed anywhere in this system preference extension.

am i missing something? or is the software missing something...? :(

Message was edited by: tomf
  • 6. Re: "Replace Battery" and annoying beeping on APC Back-UPS XS 1200
    Angela N. =SE= Employee
    unfortunately, Powerchute for OS X doesnt have the ability to mute alarms. Only the windows version does. :-(

i dont believe you can disable the replace battery alarm though because its trying to tell you it needs a replacement battery. if you muted it, you would potentially never find out you had a bad battery if you didnt look at the UPS until it was too late.
  • 7. Re: "Replace Battery" and annoying beeping on APC Back-UPS XS 1200
    tomf Member
    can this missing feature in the OS X version of PowerChute be officially confirmed by anyone from APC?

and if my only option is to borrow a Windows PC to mute the alarm, then will that setting remain in effect even after i disconnect the PC afterwards?

PS. i agree, muting the alarm all the time would prevent you from knowing your battery needs replacement... but now that i already know it needs replacement, i want to mute the alarm... i do not need a reminder every 5 hours (i sleep here too, so the beeping currently wakes me up 2x per night).
  • 8. Re: "Replace Battery" and annoying beeping on APC Back-UPS XS 1200
    Angela N. =SE= Employee
    i work for APC. i can confirm the OS X software not being able to do that.

yes, the setting will remain.

yes i understand you not wanting to wake up. but again like i said, i am 99% sure that is the one audible alarm you cannot mute.
  • 9. Re: "Replace Battery" and annoying beeping on APC Back-UPS XS 1200
    voidstar Apprentice
    You could always remove the UPS until you procure a replacement battery. A weak battery might not being doing much for you as-is.
  • 10. Re: "Replace Battery" and annoying beeping on APC Back-UPS XS 1200
    Infotel Member
    I did that, and had purchased already 2 new original batteries and did not work with my LS 500, stayed almost an hour with tech support and the beep doesn't stop.
    What else am I missing in this picture?
  • 11. Re: "Replace Battery" and annoying beeping on APC Back-UPS XS 1200
    Techie =SE= Employee
    Dear Robert,

Could you please let me know the exact Model and Serial number of the UPS? You can find these details on a white bar code sticker at the rear of the unit. What lights are on the front of the UPS when it is beeping? Is the Replace Battery Light flashing or Solid?
  • 12. Re: "Replace Battery" and annoying beeping on APC Back-UPS XS 1200
    rwehmer@charter.net Member
    The Battery in my Smart-UPS, SUA1000 was replaced less than one year ago however the light configuration showes full charge, all gree lights, yet the red replace battery light is on and the it beeps periodicaly for about 1 minuet. I removed the battery and had it tested and it came out good, no need to replace. What is wrong and how can I stop the beeping.
  • 13. Re: "Replace Battery" and annoying beeping on APC Back-UPS XS 1200
    Phill Member
    rwehmer,

Assuming you have already tried running a self test, you can try a manual run time calibration to reset the unit.
    Perform a Runtime Calibration. This is a manual procedure and should not be confused with the runtime calibration performed through PowerChute software. The batteries inside of the Smart-UPS are controlled by a microprocessor within the UPS. Sometimes it is necessary to reset this microprocessor, especially after the installation of new batteries. Stop the PowerChute software from running and disconnect the serial cable. There must be at least a 30% load attached to the UPS during this procedure, and this load cannot fluctuate more than +/- 5%. This process will cause the UPS to shut off and cut power to its outlets, therefore, attach a non-critical load to the UPS and then force the UPS on battery by disconnecting it from utility power. Allow the unit to run on battery until it turns off completely. Make sure a 30% load is present! Plug the UPS back into the wall outlet and allow it to recharge.
    I find that helps when an automatic self test will not. Do NOT run this manual test if you do not have to, it only reduces the life span of the battery, so avoid it if you can.

There is some more information available here [http://www.refurbups.com/KB-QA-UPS-Smartups]
  • 14. Re: "Replace Battery" and annoying beeping on APC Back-UPS XS 1200
    Vee Member
    My no-break, an APC Back-UPS RS 1500VA, has a little more than four years and yesterday, after I performed a self-test, and it failed, it also started beeping for sometime, every now and then. The red "replace battery" light is on. I contacted APC Support today and the person told me that there is no way to disable such warning. I use Windows XP, I can see the option "Enable PowerChute notification sounds" in PowerChute, it is UNselected, but still, it does not stop this beep warning and the person from Customer Support told me indeed that there is no way to stop it until I replace my battery.

Well, my no-break is an overkill for me. 98% of the time, the load on it is around 250W; never goes higher than 350W. It can support up to 865W. So, even with an old battery that is not anymore providing the same amount of time that I can have in case of an outage, still it gives me more than 20 minutes, plenty enough. Although the no-break has "failed" the self-test, I made a better test and it passed: I just disconnected it from the power outlet and it kept working fine with PowerChute reporting accordingly the time remaining. So, why should I be FORCED to replace my battery if I think I don't need?

Now I find this thread and I see that this is an old issue. APC is not willing to "fix" it because obviously APC wants us to BUY new batteries by annoying us!

Well, I am not buying! I buy when I want to buy and not when someone else tells me to buy. I am an electrical engineer, I don't need APC to tell me that my battery needs replacement (well, I would appreciate the advice but not an alarm that bothers me a lot 3-4 times a day!).

Interestingly, this is my 3rd no-break from APC and none of the others never had this "problem". One is newer and the other is much older. Probably the newer one will eventually end up the same way.

What I am going to do is to disassemble the unit and try to remove or cut the energy to the buzzer. If I am unable to do it, I will just throw it away. Coincidentally, yesterday I bought a new no-break - for a new computer that I am assembling - from a different vendor (one that is PFC PSU-friendly because it's wave is senoidal-like but not as expensive as a Smart UPS from APC) and hopefully I will be happier with it and forget about APC, a brand that I always praised and liked but no more.

I can't imagine myself spending $500+ for a SMART UPS from APC and, 3 years later, the unit will start annoying me to force me into buying a new battery. That is just outrageous. I'm glad I learned the lesson with a less expensive unit.
1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 8 points
  • Helpful Answers - 4 points