Three weeks ago a tree fell on our power line and we lost power for around 8 hours. There was a very funny smell coming from our living room where we had our PC and APC battery backup(Back-UPS ES 550) and it was plugged into the Battery Backup+Surge protection slot. The PC was off before the power went out but now it will turn on but it will make that off smell and some research led me to believe that our motherboard had gotten fried.
How in the world is that possible since it was plugged in the backup+surge protection slot and the PC was not powered on when the line was hit. Has anyone else had a problem with the APC Back-UPS ES 550?
there are a lot of questions to ask here but if you feel like the UPS was at fault, i'd suggest you look into the Equipment Protection Policy your UPS offers -> http://www.apc.com/site/support/US/en/service/epp