Loading ...
Home » Spaces » UPS Management Devices & PowerChute Software » discussion » General » One host fails to shutdown properly

One host fails to shutdown properly

Discussion in UPS Management Devices & PowerChute Software started by Lee , 9 days ago
Login to follow, share, and participate in this space.
Not a member?Join now
  • chench0
    Lee
    Novice Novice
    Lee 9 days ago
    Greetings!
    I have two ESXi hosts in a cluster managed by vCenter and have gone over the configuration steps many times and made sure everything is set up correctly but cannot figure out why one of my hosts fails to shutdown. In the error.log I see the following repeatedly:
    11.components.Shutdowner.Hosts.ESXManagedHost - Failed to take host out of maintenance mode: 192.168.139.6
    12-06-18 10:35:03,067 ERROR pool-185-thread-2 com.apcc.m11.components.Shutdowner.Hosts.ESXManagedHost - Failed to take host out of maintenance mode: 192.168.139.4
    The host that fails enter maintenance mode but that is as far as it goes. I believe the error above sheds a light on the issue but don’t know what steps to take to correct it. 
    If it helps, the host 192.168.139.4 is the one running vCenter and the PowerChute appliance. 
  • wpasquil
    Bill
    =S= Representative
    Bill 8 days ago (in response to Lee)

Hi,

I would check the permissions. Once PCNS powers vCenter off it will then take the host out of maintenance mode to allow the host to start up and start PCNS when AC is restored. When vCenter is off line if permissions are not correct PCNS will not be able to communicate with the host and therefore not take it out of maintenance mode. 

• chench0
    Lee
    Novice Novice
    Lee 8 days ago (in response to Bill)

I made sure permissions were set correctly by creating the accounts on each host and configuring PCNS to use that account in case vCenter is not available. Is it possible that the host running PCNS and vCenter is shutting down before the one that fails? 

• chench0
    Lee
    Novice Novice
    Lee 8 days ago (in response to Lee)

Bill Here's a screenshot of vCenter showing the PowerChuteAdmin user I created. This user also exists on the VM running vCenter (Windows) and also on each individual ESXi host.

• wpasquil
    Bill
    =S= Representative
    Bill 7 days ago (in response to Lee)

Hi,

The shutdown process is

1 - put hosts into maintenance mode

2 - shutdown VMs and vApps

3 - shutdown vCenter Server

4 - Shutdown hosts starting with the host not running PCNS

Host 139.6 should remain in maintenance mode until restarted. Host 136.4 should be taken out of maintenance mode to allow it to restart when AC is restored which in turn will allow PCNS to restart. 

Have you put PCNS into debug mode and reviewed the error.log to see what errors are posted. If you need assistance putting PCNS into debug mode see Schneider Electric FAQ FA230514

• chench0
    Lee
    Novice Novice
    Lee 4 days ago (in response to Bill)
    Hi  Bill ,
    I have enabled debug mode per your instructions attached the log file and would appreciate if you could take a look. For your reference, the debug log starts at 16-06-18 08:11:24,042.
    Again, I have followed the instructions over and over to make sure I didn’t miss a step but for some reason that one host fails to shutdown every time. It will however enter maintenance mode but that’s as far as it goes. The only thing I haven’t tried is placing the PC appliance on the host that fails in which by the way, runs ESXi 6.7 and the one that shuts down correctly runs 6.5 if that matters. 
    Thanks for your help. 
    Attachments
  • wpasquil
    Bill
    =S= Representative
      This discussion is marked as answered
    Bill 2 days ago (in response to Lee)

Hi,

The error.log file shows a permissions issue

16-06-18 08:18:23,976 ERROR Thread-34 com.apcc.m11.components.WebServer.util.virtualization.VMWareConnection - Unable to log directly into host (NoPermission or InvalidLogin): 192.168.139.4
    16-06-18 08:18:23,976 DEBUG Thread-34 com.apcc.m11.components.WebServer.util.virtualization.VMWareConnection - com.vmware.vim25.InvalidLogin
    16-06-18 08:18:23,976 DEBUG Thread-34 com.apcc.m11.components.WebServer.util.virtualization.VMWareConnection - getESXiHostConnection end
    16-06-18 08:18:23,976 ERROR Thread-34 com.apcc.m11.components.Shutdowner.Hosts.ESXManagedHost - Unable to establish a connection to shut down the host.
    16-06-18 08:18:23,976 DEBUG Thread-34 com.apcc.m11.components.Shutdowner.Formatters.VirtualizationFeaturesFormatter - format: MsgID=96
    16-06-18 08:18:23,976 DEBUG Thread-34 com.apcc.m11.components.Shutdowner.Formatters.VirtualizationFeaturesFormatter - formatted:TargetHostShutdownFail.Log to:Shutdown Host failed for Host <b>192.168.139.4</b>.
    16-06-18 08:18:23,976 DEBUG Thread-34 com.apcc.pcns.errorservice.ApplicationErrorHandlerImpl - Adding error to application error handler. String: Shutdown Host failed for Host <b>192.168.139.4</b>.
    What happens when you log into 139.4 using PowerChuteAdmin and the password? 
    I don't see any errors for 139.6
    Also, would you please sent the eventlog. I would like to review that as well.
  • chench0
    Lee
    Novice Novice
    Lee 2 days ago (in response to Bill)

I can log in to 139.4 just fine with the PowerChuteAdmin user. 

Here's the event log:

Attachments
  • chench0
    Lee
    Novice Novice
    Lee 2 days ago (in response to Bill)

So after you said it was a permission issue, I kept digging further and discovered that this part

PowerChute Security
    "The Username and Authentication Phrase are used to authenticate communications between PowerChute and the NMC. Therefore, you must set these values to be the same in both PowerChute and the NMC."

was misconfigured.

So it appears that the user in the NMC must be the same as the user in PowerChute appliance. If I stuck to the default configuration of the user apc I would probably not have ran into this issue but I insisted on creating my own user and forgot to change it in the PowerChute Security section. 

Thank you very much for your help  Bill . 

• Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Choose your language: