Loading ...
Home » Spaces » UPS Management Devices & PowerChute Software » discussion » General » PowerChute is not Receiving Data from the Network Management Card

PowerChute is not Receiving Data from the Network Management Card

Discussion in UPS Management Devices & PowerChute Software started by Raveen , 12 days ago
Login to follow, share, and participate in this space.
Not a member?Join now
  • raveen_karnik
    Raveen
    Novice Novice
    Raveen 12 days ago

I want to preface this by saying that I've never worked with any APC products or even a Linux OS prior to the last few weeks, and I'm a little in over my head

I'm trying to install PowerChute Network Shutdown on a server running CentOS 7, but it is not receiving data from the Network Management Card, and I can't figure out why. I'm trying to get PowerChute to work on one server before I install it on the others, but I can't get them to communicate with each other.

I can access the NMC from the server through the web interface, and it can connect to the NMC long enough to register its IP address, but it won't receive any data. I checked through netstat to see if 6547 and 3052 are open and listening, and they are, and that makes sense because it automatically registered, but when I trigger a shutdown, the server does not shut down.

To test, I set up my personal Windows laptop with PCNS, and when I trigger a shutdown, my laptop will shut down, so I know the NMC is sending out a signal. Why can't I get the server to communicate? I've attached screenshots I believe might be relevant, as well as a quick diagram of my network setup (the connections are ethernet cables).

Any help would be much appreciated.

• raveen_karnik
    Raveen
    Novice Novice
    Raveen 11 days ago (in response to Raveen)

Could you explain a bit more about what you're trying to say? Sorry, I'm a little confused

• wpasquil
    Bill
    =S= Representative
    Bill 9 days ago (in response to Raveen)

Hi,

When PowerChute registers with the NMC it does so over TCP port 80 or 443 depending on your preference. It then listens for NMC signals on UDP port 3052. After reviewing the screen shots I see that PowerChute is on a different network segment than the NMC. NMC IP 192.168.1.89 and PCNS is 192.168.11.234 What that means is the NMC will send a Unicast message using UDP port 3052 to the PCNS IP. You should verify Unicast traffic is not being blocked. 

• raveen_karnik
    Raveen
    Novice Novice
    Raveen 9 days ago (in response to Bill)
    On 8/14/2017 5:27 AM, Bill said:

You should verify Unicast traffic is not being blocked. 

How would I do that? If you look at the netstat output screenshot, port 3052 is open and listening. Doesn't this mean that traffic is not being blocked?

• JonPro
    Jonathan
    =S= Representative
    Jonathan 8 days ago (in response to Raveen)

Raveen,

I was able to do a quick search on the Internet with regards to Unicast issues on CentOS and I chanced upon this URL that you might want to look at. I have not personally tried it since I do not have any Linux machine on my end. Also, I suggest that you check as well what would the command do on your CentOS.

The command has never been tested and verified by Schneider Electric.

URL --> https://www.centos.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=52970

• raveen_karnik
    Raveen
    Novice Novice
    Raveen 8 days ago (in response to Jonathan)

Unfortunately, I have already tried this. It did not work the first time, and just now, when trying again, it did not work either. According to my PC, port 3052 is already listening for both TCP and UDP packets being sent to it.

• voidstar
    voidstar
    Expert Expert
    voidstar 7 days ago (in response to Raveen)

Here's how I'd go about it:

1) Check if your computer is listed as a Powerchute Client on the NMC. If it isn't, add it. This should've been done by PowerChute's registration step.

2) On your computer, run wireshark and listen for "udp port 3052". If you get no traffic from the NMC to your computer, then something along the path is blocking those packets. You can confirm the NMC is sending the packets by sniffing promiscuously on a hub with the NMC attached, or if using a managed switch, using port mirroring.

3) If you're getting udp port 3052 packets from the NMC to your PC, then make sure your local firewall isn't dropping them (you can kill powerchute and use netcat to listen for packets). Also make sure user name and PCNS passphrase match between the NMC and your PC.

• raveen_karnik
    Raveen
    Novice Novice
    Raveen 6 days ago (in response to voidstar)
    On 8/16/2017 9:20 AM, voidstar said:

run wireshark and listen for "udp port 3052"

Sorry for the delayed response, I was trying to do what you suggested, but honestly, I've never used Wireshark before and I don't have any idea how to do what you suggested. Do you think you could tell me how to listen for ports and sniff promiscuously? If it's too much work, that's fine; I'll keep trying on my own, and I'm thankful for the help you've already given, but even a pointer in the right direction would be a great amount of help.

• Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Choose your language: