Loading ...

PCNS Configuration

Discussion in UPS Management Devices & PowerChute Software started by Joe , 6/1/2017 10:26 PM
Login to follow, share, and participate in this space.
Not a member?Join now
  • JAGP
    Joe
    Novice Novice
    Joe 6/1/2017 10:26 PM

Even after reading a number of posts and articles on this subject I still find it confusing.

If I configure the NMC to initiate a shutdown event with 15 minutes of run time remaining do I still need to configure shutdown events in PCNS or can I leave them at default (greyed out)?

Thanks >> Joe

• wpasquil
    Bill
    =S= Representative
    Bill 6/2/2017 8:21 PM (in response to Joe)

Hi,

When the UPS reaches the low battery threshold the NMC sends a signal the each of the configured PCNS clients and they start the OS shutdown process. You do not need to configure anything else within PCNS. Likewise if the UPS has switched outlet groups and the outlet group reaches the defined shutdown range NMC sends a signal the each of the configured PCNS clients and they start the OS shutdown process.

• JAGP
    Joe
    Novice Novice
    Joe 6/2/2017 8:43 PM (in response to Bill)

So is my following layman's understanding correct?

Configure shutdown on the NMC and only the NMC if:

• you want all the connected PCNS clients to shutdown in the same manner/schedule.
    • you you want the UPS to turn off before completely draining the battery.

Configure shutdown in PCNS if you want the server/machine to respond differently than the NMC setting.

Thanks again.  You are a breath of fresh air.

Best >> Joe

• wpasquil
    Bill
    =S= Representative
    Bill 6/5/2017 3:28 PM (in response to Joe)
    On 6/2/2017 4:43 PM, Joe said:

Configure shutdown on the NMC and only the NMC if:

• you want all the connected PCNS clients to shutdown in the same manner/schedule.

Correct.

you you want the UPS to turn off before completely draining the battery.

This will happen even if you select a configurable PowerChute Shutdown event. You can configure PowerChute to turn the UPS off or the UPS will power it self down once the batteries get low. When the UPS reaches low battery it will wait the low battery duration, then the UPS turn off delay, then a built in 2 minute dealy that is non configurable and finally power down.

Configure shutdown in PCNS if you want the server/machine to respond differently than the NMC setting.

Correct. 

• JAGP
    Joe
    Novice Novice
    Joe 6/5/2017 5:49 PM (in response to Bill)

Perfect.

Thanks >> Joe

• Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Choose your language: