Loading ...
Home » Spaces » UPS Management Devices & PowerChute Software » discussion » General » PowerChute Personal Edition 3.0.2 won't install on Windows 10

PowerChute Personal Edition 3.0.2 won't install on Windows 10

Discussion in UPS Management Devices & PowerChute Software started by tcloud , 5/10/2016 12:15 PM
Login to follow, share, and participate in this space.
Not a member?Join now
  • tcloud
    tcloud
    New Member New Member
    tcloud 5/10/2016 12:15 PM

I have BR1500G and Windows 10 Pro 64-bit and can't get PCPEInstaller.exe (fresh download of v. 3.0.2) to install -- it won't get past installing .net 2.0

* .net 2.0 won't install on Windows 10, so can't install PowerChute Personal Edition 3.0.2

The "Compatibility Chart" says -- "PowerChute Personal Edition 3.0.2 requires the installation of .NET framework 2.0 SP2 on Windows XP ..."  I'm not running XP, I'm running Windows 10.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• wpasquil
    Bill
    =S= Representative
    Bill 5/10/2016 5:34 PM (in response to tcloud)

Hi,

The minimum requirement is .NET 2 You do not need to install .NET 2.0 but you do need to install a version above that one. If your system did not ship with .NET framework you can download on line. If you need assistance installing you should contact Microsoft. 

Here is a link to Microsoft page that discusses the .NET framework and needed dependencies.  https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb822049(v=vs.110).aspx

• btillison
    Ben
    New Member New Member
    Ben 7/22/2016 4:32 AM (in response to Bill)

I have .Net 4.6.1 installed, but the APC software won't install, demanding .net 2 sp 2.

• wpasquil
    Bill
    =S= Representative
    Bill 7/22/2016 12:37 PM (in response to Ben)

Ben,

I apologize. I checked the Microsoft downloads page for .NET 4.6.1 and found this information 

This version of the .NET Framework runs side-by-side with the .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 and earlier versions, but performs an in-place update for the .NET Framework 4, .NET Framework 4.5, .NET Framework 4.5., .NET Framework 4.5.2, and .NET Framework 4.6.

That leads me to believe when installing .NET 4.6.1 version 2 is not installed. With previous version when installing .NET the older versions were install along with the latest. As an example, I have version 4.0 on my laptop and along with that version are versions 2.0.5, 3.0, 3.5.

• btillison
    Ben
    New Member New Member
    Ben 7/25/2016 3:51 PM (in response to Bill)

So why does PowerChute require me to install an obsolete version of .NET?

My understanding is that the current versions are roll-ups and provide all necessary support for version 2, 3, 3.5, etc.

So, I have to install obsolete .NET versions to support PowerChute?

• voidstar
    voidstar
    Expert Expert
    voidstar 7/25/2016 6:28 PM (in response to Ben)

I think the current .NET version should include roll-up support for 2, but the documentation Bill found seems to imply it might not. Could just be vague documentation. Either way, it can't hurt to try an install of .NET 2 to see if that resolves the issue or not.

• ArtieMcD
    Artie
    New Member New Member
    Artie 9/6/2016 1:12 PM (in response to voidstar)

You absolutely Do NOT want to install .net 2.0 (or any others) on windows 8 or 10 using the old standalone .net installers.   The install/uninstall of the .net frameworks are now handled by the Add/Remove windows feature (and has been done this way since Windows 8.1).      The 3.5 .net framework is what you need on Windows 10 for the APC Powerchute version 3.0.2 to work and it will co-exist with the 4.6 .net.   Here's how to install .net properly on Windows 8.1 and 10.

1.   Open up the control panel.  (Right click start – then click control panel)

2.  Go to “Uninstall a program” or “Programs and features” depending on whether the control panel is in category view or icon view.

3.  This is the traditional Add/Remove program window. In the left side there is an option for “Turn Windows features on or off”.  Click that.

4.  At the top of the list should be the “.NET Framework 3.5 (includes .NET 2.0 and 3.0)”.  It is no longer installed on Windows by default so you must enable it. Check the box to the left of the .NET Framework 3.5 and click ok.   Windows will proceed to install the service (downloading it from windows update if necessary) and then once complete you can proceed with installing the APC software.

Add Feature option in Windows 10 for .NET 3.5

There is an API in Windows allowing programs needing access to the .net framework to have it automatically install this service.   APC should really update their installer to support that behavior and remove the incorrect legacy .net install instructions it’s installer prompts when their software in install on Windows 8.1 or 10.

Attachments
  • Hals41
    Hal
    New Member New Member
    Hal 4/6/2017 3:22 PM (in response to Artie)

Artie-

Just came across this as I was searching the internet for how to install Powerchute on Windows 10. Kept running into the need for .NET FW 2.0.

Thank you greatly for your knowledgeable, clear, concise comment and instructions as to how to add .NET FW in Windows 10! You cleared it up. You would think Microsoft, with all their staff, wisdom (?), etc would have a comment on how to do this, but no, they do not.

One of the major problems with Microsoft and Windows is the way MS continually changes where these mundane tasks are done - and does not publish a guide, etc.

Again, thanks for the explanation. To all others that read this, Artie's instructions work, and Powerchute will then install and work properly on Windows 10 (Home, 64 bit).

hals41 

• tech
    tech
    Novice Novice
    tech 7/24/2017 5:56 PM (in response to Hal)

@Hal:

You are comp0letely wrong about this being an MS issue.

PCPE needs to be updated to comply with current standards.

• Jim1954
    Jim
    New Member New Member
    Jim 8/7/2017 1:56 PM (in response to tech)

APC REALLY does provide top-notch products. They do their job w/out worry.

Yet, I find that PowerChute 3.x is lacking.

It lacks support, it lacks frequent updates to comply with current OS platforms, and it lacks intelligence in working with those platforms.

So, yes, I believe it to be right on-point with your statement "PCPE needs to be updated to comply..."

Now versions, security updates and other critical actions are published by the OS Platform on a regular basis. There is ABSOLUTELY no reason for any product installed to require a down-level installation of the supported infrastructure deployed by the OS Platform.

It is lack of funding and certainly uninterested Management for providing the needed funding in support of the "Digital Life of Consumer (personal and commercial)."

I must ask myself then, is that their approach for commercial products as well? If they are so far behind on something as simple as this, with lack of support for a strategic component of their product line, then apparently it extends to their commercial product lines as well.

Hmmmm...

• xberg
    Blaise
    Novice Novice
    Blaise 12/18/2017 11:08 PM (in response to Jim)

Hi,

I have exactly the same problem on Win 10. Except that I am unable to install .NET 3.5.

When I tick the box Win 10 tries to connect to windows update and I get an error 0x80240022.

I noticed that powerchute has not been updated since 2012 which seems like an awfully long time for a software. 

And I should not be struggling to install software!

Any solution to make this work on Win 10?

thanks!

• xberg
    Blaise
    Novice Novice
    Blaise 29 days ago (in response to Blaise)

I found the solution:

Mount your Windows 10 ISO if you have one or insert your Windows 10 install disc, or insert the USB stick
    Press Windows key + x
    Click Command Prompt (Admin)
    At the command prompt, enter the following command:
    run Dism DISM /Online /Enable-Feature /FeatureName:NetFx3 /Source:d:\sources\sxs /All /LimitAccess
    Change d: with your drive letter
  • Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Choose your language: