Loading ...
Home » Spaces » Racks, Rack Accessories, & Cooling » discussion » General » APC PDU without a UPS?

APC PDU without a UPS?

Discussion in Racks, Rack Accessories, & Cooling started by Thomas , 18 days ago
Login to follow, share, and participate in this space.
Not a member?Join now
  • twhittle1
    Thomas
    New Member New Member
    Thomas 18 days ago

Hi,

This is probably such a basic question but I'm very new to power and Backup.

is it possible to use a PDU without a UPS? I.E. Plugged straight into the mains?

I'm interested in using the features of a metered UPS (outlet power up down, load monitoring etc) but don't need battery backup.

Can I literally get a C20 -> Mains cable can plug the PDU directly into the mains or does the PDU require a UPS in order to function?

Thanks,

Tom

• mvictoriano
    Mike
    =S= Representative
    Mike 18 days ago (in response to Thomas)

Hi Thomas,

A PDU can be used as a stand-alone device. It does not need a UPS to function. As long as the power requirements are met, then it should work. A UPS is typically recommended to clean incoming power or to avoid possible surges passing to your loads, as a PDU does not have surge protection. 

You may check the PDU selector here: http://www.apc.com/us/en/tools/selector/pdu/index.cfm?ISOCountryCode=us

• twhittle1
    Thomas
    New Member New Member
    Thomas 18 days ago (in response to Mike)

Brilliant thanks Mike, I'd not considered surges, although the facility is using a central "big" UPS so this is probably catered for there.

Kind Regards,

Tom

• Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Choose your language: