Loading ...
Home » Spaces » Racks, Rack Accessories, & Cooling » discussion » General » Password recovery AP9210I

Password recovery AP9210I

Discussion in Racks, Rack Accessories, & Cooling started by Sacha , 9/24/2015 9:25 AM
Login to follow, share, and participate in this space.
Not a member?Join now
  • mccoy
    Sacha
    Novice Novice
    Sacha 9/24/2015 9:25 AM

Hello, 

this is my first post on this forum.

I recently purchased a (rather old) APC switched rack PDU (model AP9210I). The thing is, I can't seem to reset the password on the unit (and the original owner can't remember). I followed some instructions I found online, which were not specifically for the model I have though, so none of those methods worked.

Here is what I tried so far:

• Power on and try to log on with username: apc and password: apc (tried Web, Telnet and serial) -> password refused
    • Press reset for 10 seconds, release, press again for 1 second and try to login (using serial console) -> password refused
    • Login with random user and password: TENmanUFactOryPOWER (telnet). Login to service menu worked, EEPROM dump worked, but I did not find a username and password (that specific vulnerability must have been fixed).
    • I did try some obvious "default passwords", like admin/admin etc, with no success.

Is there another method I can try?

Thanks,

mccoy

• wpasquil
    Bill
    =S= Representative
    Bill 9/24/2015 1:59 PM (in response to Sacha)

Hi,

Please provide the serial number of the unit and I can send the password procedure.

• mccoy
    Sacha
    Novice Novice
    Sacha 9/24/2015 3:12 PM (in response to Bill)

Hi,

thanks for your reply.

Here is the serial number: WA9924009648.

Thanks in advance,

mccoy

• wpasquil
    Bill
    =S= Representative
      This discussion is marked as answered
    Bill 9/24/2015 6:53 PM (in response to Sacha)

Hi,

Log in using  lower case apc for user name in either hyper-terminal or telnet (won't work via the web)

use the following for password (any letters are capitalized)

12<:9>^IBC=@

After entering the new password you will have to log in again but use lower case apc for both user name and password.

• mccoy
    Sacha
    Novice Novice
    Sacha 9/24/2015 8:05 PM (in response to Bill)

Hi,

that worked perfectly. Thank you very much!

Kind regards,

mccoy

• Terry_Kennedy
    Terry
    Apprentice Apprentice
    Terry 9/24/2015 9:19 PM (in response to Sacha)

Note that these older units have a number of unfixed vulnerabilities in the underling protocols. The fact that you were able to log in with the "10MAN" method proves your device is vulnerable - if you try it again, you'll probably see the username / password you setup in the EEPROM dump.

Because of this, these units should not be used in locations where untrusted people have network or console access to the device.

• mccoy
    Sacha
    Novice Novice
    Sacha 9/25/2015 4:25 PM (in response to Terry)

Hi,

I am using the device in a lab-type environment only. It's not connected to anything remotely critical, nor is it public facing (and it is locked in a cabinet, restricting access to the serial port.) I realise that one shouldn't be using it in production any longer if it has any vulnerabilities.

mccoy

• pbr6891
    Pierre
    New Member New Member
    Pierre 2/16/2016 8:45 AM (in response to Bill)

Hello Bill,

I am trying to use a couple of older AP9210 and have the same password reset issue ...

Here are the serial numbers :

WA9902001403

WA9848026242

can you help ?

Thanks

Pierre

• nicolasl
    Nicolas
    New Member New Member
    Nicolas 10/22/2016 12:34 AM (in response to Pierre)

I know your post is 8 months old, but I run in the same issue as you and find my way out.

I you still need to recover the two units, try these passwords with the same procedure as above:

WA9902001403  124859^IBC;>
    WA9848026242  149698^IBB?D

• trickydee
    Richard
    Novice Novice
    Richard 12/3/2016 8:59 PM (in response to Nicolas)

Hi,

I've recently picked up a masterswitch 9210I from ebay. But as with the other guys above I cant login as a password has been set which I don't have. 

So I was wondering if anyone can assist with resetting serial number: WA9919014044 ?

Regards

Rich

• hanadul
    Young
    Novice Novice
    Young 12/4/2016 6:05 AM (in response to Richard)

I have exact same problem.

I can't login after I changed password.

I tried reset 10sec, 10sec with 1sec, multiple click but none of them are working.

Also, I think it resets network card only because it gives me username prompt in 5-7 seconds.

I checked the device but there's no serial numbers either.

Please inform how to find serial #.

• Terry_Kennedy
    Terry
    Apprentice Apprentice
    Terry 12/5/2016 10:54 AM (in response to Young)

The serial number is normally on the side of the unit, so you need to remove the rack ears to see it. I believe that on these old units, it is a plain paper label (non-barcode) with the serial number and the MAC address.

The AP9210 definitely is affected by the "well-known backdoor password" and it was not fixed by APC because the unit was long obsolete even then.

• wpasquil
    Bill
    =S= Representative
    Bill 12/5/2016 1:02 PM (in response to Richard)

Hi,

Use lower case apc for user name in either hyper-terminal or telnet (won't work via the web).

Use the following for password (any letters are capitalized) 13749:^IBC<E Then you have to log in again but use lower case apc for both user name and password.

• wpasquil
    Bill
    =S= Representative
    Bill 12/5/2016 1:04 PM (in response to Young)

Hi Young,

I will need the serial number of the unit to create a back door password. The serial number should be on the side of the unit. 

• kevinstewart
    Kevin
    New Member New Member
    Kevin 12/6/2016 6:11 AM (in response to Bill)

Bill,

I have a similar situation to others, I have an older AP9210 that I need the password for.  

The serial number is WA9947017210, thanks for your help!

Kevin

• trickydee
    Richard
    Novice Novice
    Richard 12/8/2016 10:40 PM (in response to Bill)

Bill,

Many thanks for your help, the recovery worked perfectly.

Thanks 

Rich

• paul_s
    Paul
    Novice Novice
      This discussion is marked as answered
    Paul 12/29/2016 5:50 PM (in response to Bill)

Hi, I have the same problem with my AP9210. Can you generate a password for this one? The serial number is WA9818878103.

Thanks in advance,

Paul S.

• wpasquil
    Bill
    =S= Representative
    Bill 1/9/2017 6:44 PM (in response to Paul)

1 - Use lower case apc for user name in either hyper-terminal or telnet (won't work via the web)

2 - Use the following for password 99;559^IBB<D (any letters are capitalized)

3 - You will then have to log in again but use lower case apc for both user name and password

• ShaNana
    Sha
    New Member New Member
    Sha 1/19/2017 5:58 PM (in response to Bill)

I also have a AP9210 that has an unknown password. Could you make an unlock password for me too? My serial is WA9831002944. Thank you!

• wpasquil
    Bill
    =S= Representative
    Bill 1/19/2017 7:31 PM (in response to Sha)

Hi,

1 - Use lower case apc for user name in either hyper-terminal or telnet (won't work via the web)

2 - Use the following for password 125=9:^IBB>= (any letters are capitalized) 

3 - You will then have to log in again but use lower case apc for both user name and password

• ShaNana
    Sha
    New Member New Member
    Sha 1/19/2017 7:39 PM (in response to Bill)

That worked. You are my hero ;)

• paul_s
    Paul
    Novice Novice
    Paul 1/21/2017 7:27 AM (in response to Bill)

Bill thank you very much, that got me right in..

• batman77
    John
    New Member New Member
    John 7/18/2017 12:52 PM (in response to Bill)

I have the following, can you help me reset the password?

Model Number:           AP9631
    Serial Number:          5A1218T03662

• wpasquil
    Bill
    =S= Representative
    Bill 7/18/2017 2:27 PM (in response to John)

Hi,

The AP9631 is a network management card. This thread is for the AP9210 which is a Masterswitch.

You will find information on how to reset the user name and password on an AP9631 in the Schneider Electric FAQ FA156075 "Network Management Card (NMC) Password Reset Procedure"

• fcelamy
    Franck
    New Member New Member
    Franck 7/25/2017 2:45 PM (in response to Bill)

Hi, 

I just picked up AP9210 unit on Ebay and added it to my rack. I also got the serial connector and because I am aware that I would need to do a password rest. I am getting "Login: " as a prompt on my screen. 

I will assume that will need to have a specialized password generated for me to able to get this setup? Here is my Serial number WA9720842361

Can you provide me with some guidance on what do next. 

Thanks 

• Page 1 of 2 (26 items)
  • « Previous 
  • Next »
  •   Go to page:  Go
Choose your language: