Loading ...
home » spaces » Smart-UPS & Symmetra LX / RM » discussion » General » How to configure automatic shutdown of server attached to smart ups 3000, 1000, 1500, 2200

How to configure automatic shutdown of server attached to smart ups 3000, 1000, 1500, 2200

Discussion in Smart-UPS & Symmetra LX / RM started by martino , 3/3/2017 2:08 PM
Login  to follow, share, and participate in this space.
Not a member?Join now
  • mdesario
    martino
    Novice
    Novice
    martino 3/3/2017 2:08 PM

Can anyone please explain how and what should be configured to automatically shutdown a server that is connected to a Smart UPS 3000, 1000, 1500, 2200 (with serial connection) ?

Has additional software to be installed on the server for this to work? We need other module for UPS Device ?

Thanks in advance.

• wpasquil
    Bill
    =S= Representative
    Bill 3/3/2017 5:27 PM (in response to martino)

Hi,

It will depend on the OS and the model of the Smart-UPS but in most cases you will use PowerChute Business Edition. 

here is a link to the PowerChute Business Edition product page

http://www.apc.com/shop/it/it/categories/power/uninterruptible-power-supply-ups-/ups-management/powerchute-business-edition/_/N-o29ysx

you can download the latest version of PowerChute Business Edition from this link 

http://www.schneider-electric.us/en/faqs/FA304446/ This link also contains a list of compatible OS. 

If you have an OS that is not listed in the compatibility chart let me know the OS and the exact model of the Smart-UPS (example SUA1000) and I will make specific recommendations.

• mdesario
    martino
    Novice
    Novice
    martino 3/3/2017 6:13 PM (in response to Bill)

thanks for your answers.

How can I connect our ups to PowerChute software ?

our ups have only serial connections 

thanks

regards

• wpasquil
    Bill
    =S= Representative
    Bill 3/3/2017 8:35 PM (in response to martino)

Hi,

You should connect the serial cable that shipped with the UPS between the UPS and the computer. Then run the PowerChute installer. On Windows system the installer will auto discover the UPS. On other OS you will need to assign the serial port. 

I have attached the getting start guide and the linux readme file. 

• mdesario
    martino
    Novice
    Novice
    martino 3/3/2017 8:48 PM (in response to Bill)

thanks for Your answer. Unfortunately I have not the serial cable . How can I create or buy it ?

thaks

• wpasquil
    Bill
    =S= Representative
    Bill 3/6/2017 4:35 PM (in response to martino)

Hi,

You should contact the local customer support center. They will assist you. The will require the exact model name of the UPS to provide the proper cable information. You will find the Smart-UPS model number on the bar code sticker.

• AyeMin
    Aye
    Novice
    Novice
    Aye 4/12/2017 11:08 AM (in response to Bill)

Hi Bill ,

Can you please help me to set auto shutdown and turn on for server by UPS .?  

I was confusing in the power chute business edition and also my knowledge is poor .frown

I have window server 2016 Std connected to Smart UPS 1500 

Sorry for asking here , and if you want me to post new , i will do .

Thank you so much.! smile

• wpasquil
    Bill
    =S= Representative
    Bill 4/12/2017 2:53 PM (in response to Aye)

Hi,

Have you installed powerChute Business Edition and if so have you opened the web interface and completed the initial configuration?

To open the web interface open a web browser and enter https://system IP address:6547 example https://192.168.1.10:6547 or you can enter https://127.0.0.1:6547 You will be asked to login. To login enter the user name and password you entered when installing the software. Once you run the initial set up PowerChute will shutdown the OS in the event of a power failure. 

if you would like the system to power on when AC is restored you need to configure the BIOS and set it to Always On or Last State. See FAQ FA159550

• AyeMin
    Aye
    Novice
    Novice
    Aye 4/13/2017 12:06 PM (in response to Bill)

Hi Bill ,

Thank you so much for your reply .!smile

Yes , i installed powerchute business edition and aslo i can open in web browser as belowpicture .

Can you please check this configuration of parameters are correct .?

Anything ,need to config further ..?

Thank again.!

to shutdown on power failure ,

Attachments
  • wpasquil
    Bill
    =S= Representative
    Bill 4/13/2017 2:57 PM (in response to Aye)

Hi,

That looks fine. What do you have set up for Shutdown Settings? 

• AyeMin
    Aye
    Novice
    Novice
    Aye 4/19/2017 8:38 AM (in response to Bill)

Thank you So much Bill..!smile 

After testing this setting ., timing to shutdown is a little long .,i think need to adjust it.

I don't know the best timing setting , but can set as wanted.

To turn Server auto on , is setup in BIOS settings .

Now i think i have complete Auto shutdown & Turn on For my server . :)

Attachments
  • mdesario
    martino
    Novice
    Novice
    martino 4/19/2017 9:54 AM (in response to Bill)

Hello Bill,

I noticed that I can set the Time On Battery Threshold Exceeded, and when the time is reached powerChute generate an event in Windows events, is it possible to set % of charge Battery Threshold ande generate an alert in  Windows events when the limit is reached ?

thanks

Martino

• wpasquil
    Bill
    =S= Representative
    Bill 4/19/2017 1:12 PM (in response to martino)

Hi,

The setting is Insufficient runtime available and is configured by time not percentage. The event by default is selected to be logged. 

This is from the help files

The UPS is On Line and is below the low runtime threshold.
    That is, the Runtime Remaining reported by the UPS is less than the total turn-off delays for the outlet group supplying power to the Agent.
    This outlet group is designated by the PowerChute logo on the Outlet Sequence screen, see Using the graph and common fields.
    In a forced shutdown, the UPS might not have enough runtime available to perform a graceful shutdown.
  • mdesario
    martino
    Novice
    Novice
    martino 4/19/2017 2:01 PM (in response to Bill)

I have created a scheduled task that runs a script which performs remote shutdown of my servers

If I configure Time on battery threshold, when the limit is reached, an event is generated that triggers the task, it exist a setting to generate an event ( on windows event viewer ) at specific battery percentage threshold ?

• wpasquil
    Bill
    =S= Representative
    Bill 4/20/2017 12:02 PM (in response to martino)

Martino,

As I wrote yesterday there is no percentage setting. The shutdown settings are base on time. The time is calculated by battery charge percentage but the shutdown settings require an amount of time to be entered.

• Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
Choose your language:  English