Loading ...
Home » Spaces » Back-UPS & Surge Protectors » discussion » General » Wall Plug Not Three Prong / Can Adapter Be Used To Convert?

Wall Plug Not Three Prong / Can Adapter Be Used To Convert?

Discussion in Back-UPS & Surge Protectors started by JD , 10 days ago
Login to follow, share, and participate in this space.
Not a member?Join now
  • jdcollier
    JD
    New Member New Member
    JD 10 days ago

My battery backup and surge protector's plug has three prongs but my wall out has two. Can I use an adapter to convert the plug to three?

Also I have two power strips with about 12 plugs on each, can I plug each of those strips into a plug on the APC unit?

• wpasquil
    Bill
    =S= Representative
    Bill 9 days ago (in response to JD)

Hi,

On 10/10/2017 9:10 AM, JD said:

My battery backup and surge protector's plug has three prongs but my wall out has two. Can I use an adapter to convert the plug to three?

You should not. The units are designed with the ground to allow the unit to pass excess energy to ground in the event of a surge. Also, you will void any warranty and in most cases you will violate local electric code. 

On 10/10/2017 9:10 AM, JD said:

Also I have two power strips with about 12 plugs on each, can I plug each of those strips into a plug on the APC unit?

Again, you should not. You could possible overload the UPS or surge unit/s and again will void warranty and possible violate electric code.

You should ask a local electrician to swap the outlet for an approved grounded outlet.

• Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Choose your language: