Loading ...
home » spaces » Back-UPS & Surge Protectors » discussion » General » Can't install Powerchute Personal Edition 3 - Error Code 2738

Can't install Powerchute Personal Edition 3 - Error Code 2738

Discussion in Back-UPS & Surge Protectors started by David , 11/12/2010 11:25 PM
Login  to follow, share, and participate in this space.
Not a member?Join now
  • DavidMiller
    David
    Novice
    Novice
    David 11/12/2010 11:25 PM

When trying to upgrade from version 2.2 to version 3 I get the following error message "The installer has encountered an unexpected error installing this package. This may indicate a problem with this package. The error code is 2738".

Running Windows 7 Home Edition 32 bit (upgraded from Vista).

I am told that the problem may be related to the Microsoft .NET Framework services, according to a .NET verification program I have the following versions installed:-
    .NET 2 SP2
    .NET 3.5 SP1

Powerchute Personal Edition 2.2 is running fine but I just wanted to access the new features of version 3.

Any suggestions?

Thanks, Dave

• ipicKedawinna
    Angela
    =S= Representative
    Angela 11/15/2010 2:26 PM (in response to David)

personally, i have never seen this issue. but if it were me, and you have verified your .NET framework is present, i may try to uninstall 2.2 and do a clean install of 3.0. i cannot guarantee thats the solution but what i would try if it were me. we can always get you 2.2 if for some reason that does not work. [click here for 2.2 download|http://www.apc.com/tools/download/software_comp.cfm?sw_sku=SFPCPE22&id=129&family=&part_num=&swfam=129&tsk=]

not sure if anyone else here has any ideas?

[i found this link|http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=3098435&] but just a disclaimer to not try any of that mentioned on that link if you arent comfortable doing so. [here is some more info|http://blogs.msdn.com/b/charlie/archive/2007/05/01/may-ctp-install-problems-on-vista-vb-script-error.aspx] but again, please review at your own risk.

• DavidMiller
    David
    Novice
    Novice
    David 11/17/2010 12:30 AM (in response to Angela)

Thanks for the tips but unfortunately for me they don't solve the issue described.

I also tried to uninstall version 2.2 with the intent of doing a clean install of version 3 but get the same 2738 error, leaving me with version 2.2 on the PC. Interestingly I can install version 2.2 with no problems.

Has anybody else had problems with this error?

• clarkson
    Rob
    =S= Representative
    Rob 11/17/2010 1:21 PM (in response to David)

If you're having problems uninstalling PCPE 2.2 I'll send you a private message with the registry keys needed to remove it. Once this is done you may want to try reinstalling .NET and try it all again.

• DavidMiller
    David
    Novice
    Novice
    David 11/18/2010 1:19 AM (in response to Rob)

Thanks Rob for the tips which I followed .

Now when I try to install version 3 I get as far as the default directory for installation, however when I click on next nothing happens. Just to be sure that the PC is not doing something in the background I have left it and return 30 mins later but I still have the dialogue box with the default directory displayed.

I also no longer get the upgrade option (which seems right to me).

Can you confirm which version of .NET the installer is expecting to see?

The PC is running Windows 7 Home Edition

Many Thanks

• clarkson
    Rob
    =S= Representative
    Rob 11/18/2010 4:40 PM (in response to David)

It requires at least 2.0. I believe win7 is pre-installed with 3.5. This can be checked under Control Panel -> Programs and Features -> Turn Windows features on or off.

• DavidMiller
    David
    Novice
    Novice
    David 11/18/2010 11:12 PM (in response to Rob)

Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5.1 (and all subfolders) installed and turned on.

• clarkson
    Rob
    =S= Representative
    Rob 11/19/2010 6:21 PM (in response to David)

Hmm. Usually if its a PowerChute problem the manual uninstall will do the trick. Are you running any security software or anything that might be holding the install process up? You could try closing all running apps and installing.

• DavidMiller
    David
    Novice
    Novice
    David 11/20/2010 3:27 PM (in response to Rob)

Running Norton 360 V4. Turning this off makes no difference, the Powerchute installation program still hangs at the directory selection point.

• DavidMiller
    David
    Novice
    Novice
    David 11/21/2010 12:22 AM (in response to David)

Have now removed all versions of .NET Frameworks except V2 SP2 and V3.5.1 (with Windows 7) but still no joy!!

Looks like its version 2.2 for me or nothing or am I missing something obvious?

• tcapc
    tom
    Novice
    Novice
    tom 11/21/2010 5:32 PM (in response to David)

I'm having the same problem with the install program hanging at the directory selection step. Windows XP. Will post back if I can find an answer...

Can not get PowerChute 3.0 to install on Windows Vista x86 - it hangs at the "select directory" screen, you can pick "next" but it doesn't move on from there. Have tried install with AV and firewall off (Norton). I am on the administrator account. At one point, it was actually creating directories.

When the UPS was plugged in, Windows installed drivers for "APC Battery BackUP"/Version 1.0 under Computer+Bateries and "American Power Conversion USB UPS" / Version 6.1.6002.18005 under Computer+Human Interface Devices. Have tried to install PowerChute with these drivers installed and enable and with these drivers uninstalled. PowerChute install fails either way.

Message was edited by: clarkson

• clarkson
    Rob
    =S= Representative
    Rob 11/23/2010 12:31 PM (in response to tom)

tcapc,

I'm going to send you the the registry keys to remove as well to see if that helps.

• clarkson
    Rob
    =S= Representative
    Rob 11/23/2010 2:40 PM (in response to David)

If the verification tool was indicating there may be a .NET problem then you may want to download the .NET cleanup tool then freshly install .NET framework.

• tcapc
    tom
    Novice
    Novice
    tom 11/25/2010 1:26 AM (in response to Rob)

Powerchute Personal Edition 3 was not an upgrade install. There was no uninstall to perform. I don't leave much hanging when I log off this PC, so the auto shutdown feature isn't that important to me.

• clarkson
    Rob
    =S= Representative
    Rob 12/1/2010 3:24 PM (in response to tom)

Alright. I will check with some other people to see if they have run into this.

• DavidMiller
    David
    Novice
    Novice
    David 12/17/2010 10:30 PM (in response to Rob)

Does anyone have any updates to this issue which myself and it would seem others are experiencing?

Thanks

• dzthings
    Joseph
    Joseph 12/18/2010 10:49 PM (in response to David)

I too am stuck at the install screen. Pressing Next does nothing. Is there an answer to this? I'm on Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit.

• tcapc
    tom
    Novice
    Novice
    tom 12/19/2010 7:07 AM (in response to Joseph)

dz - prolly not - lol. it's apc ware.

even if it did install, it probably wouldn't work - not trying to be smart or anything. been this way since 95'/NT and serial ports. works or it doesn't.

• clarkson
    Rob
    =S= Representative
    Rob 12/20/2010 9:23 PM (in response to David)

I haven't had any luck replicating the problem as of yet. If anything comes up I will post back.

• bugmenot20080812
    Bug
    Novice
    Novice
    Bug 12/21/2010 5:38 AM (in response to Joseph)

I have the same issue as well. I cannot proceed with installation after the choose installation screen. Anyone find the solution?

• clarkson
    Rob
    =S= Representative
    Rob 12/21/2010 8:23 PM (in response to Bug)

Will everyone please edit their posts to include the following:

OS version and service packs (if its not already present)
    Version(s) of .NET framework installed.
    UPS model (exact model can be found on the little white sticker on the back or bottom).

That should help us further. Thanks.

• DavidMiller
    David
    Novice
    Novice
    David 12/21/2010 10:38 PM (in response to Rob)

Rob

Info as requested:

Windows 7 32bit Home Edition (upgraded from Vista)

.NET Framework 2.0 SP2
    .NET Framework 3.0 SP2
    .NET Framework 3.5 SP1
    .NET Framework 4 Client

All validated by .NET Framework Setup Verification Utility

UPS is BE550G (ES 550)

Hope this helps?

Regards, Dave

• tcapc
    tom
    Novice
    Novice
    tom 12/22/2010 2:48 AM (in response to Rob)

OK.

Windows Vista Home Premium - SP2.

Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1
    Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1
    Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile

Also, ran some tool from the Microsoft website to verify .Net installs.

UPS BN1250G

Just curious - are there any windows/networking/etc. features that would need to be be turned on for the install to complete? Shot in the dark - not wanting to try all the permutations...

Message was edited by: tcapc

• JonPro
    Jonathan
    =S= Representative
    Jonathan 12/22/2010 3:12 PM (in response to tom)

Please try the following steps:

* Open a command prompt and make sure that you use/select "Run as Administrator".
    * Once you have a command prompt window open change the directory to C:\Windows\System32.
    * Type regsvr32 vbscript.dll and hit enter
    * A message box would appear that would tell you that the DLL has been registered.
    * Run the installer again.
    Let me know what comes up.

• clarkson
    Rob
    =S= Representative
    Rob 12/22/2010 5:16 PM (in response to tom)

Thanks for the edits/posts.

Apparently Jon has had some success with customers by registering that .dll so we may want to give that a shot. :-)

• Page 1 of 2 (45 items)
  • « Previous 
  • Next »
  •   Go to page:  [Go]