I need some expert advice
To my understanding APC BACK-UPS CS & RS uses Simple signaling meaning it cannot receive and store a delay time. Therefore even if the OS has succesfully shutdown the UPS will continue to supply output (assuming long period power failure) untill batteries had totally depleted. But in the event that the power is restored before batteries are depleted then the PC would have to be switched on manually - correct me if i'm wrong.
so my question goes:
1. When power is restored after low battery shutdown state will the UPS power on automaticaly and supply output to my loads ?
2. The term Simple Signaling refers to the UPS USB/Serial interface communication mode or because PowerChute Personal Edition supports only simple signaling ?
The following sequences occur during power failure:
Shutdown time line, software not installed:
1. UPS goes to battery, the on battery beep sounds
2. The UPS will sound the on battery beep until it reaches the last few minutes of run time. The length of time depends on the load and how old the battery is.
3. When the unit reaches the last few minutes of battery life it will then sound its low battery alarm.
4. Just before the battery is completely exhausted the ups will turn itself off.
5. If the UPS went to battery due to a brown out the unit at this point will be in LVSM(Low Voltage Sleep Mode) until the voltage becomes acceptable again.
PowerChute Personal Edition default shutdown time line:
1. UPS goes to battery and PCPE starts its preserve battery power counter.
2. When the counter expires it sends a command to the UPS to start counting its turn off delay and then commands the OS to shutdown.
3. The operating system shuts down and the UPS continues to count its turn off delay.
4. The UPS cuts power to the outlets then rechecks to see if the incoming power is acceptable. If it is not it waits there until power returns.
5. If the UPS went to battery due to a brown out the unit at this point will be in LVSM until the voltage becomes acceptable again.
The term "Simple Signaling' refers to the UPS..and the PCPE is designed to work only with simple signaling UPS via the USB cable.
let us know if you have any question.
Choose a location: