Loading ...
Home » Spaces » Back-UPS & Surge Protectors » discussion » General » Powershute PE Question

Powershute PE Question

Discussion in Back-UPS & Surge Protectors started by Gordon , 20 days ago
Login to follow, share, and participate in this space.
Not a member?Join now
  • freeman847
    Gordon
    Novice Novice
    Gordon 20 days ago

    Hi Everyone,

    Have a question about Powershute PE for Windows. I don't own APC UPS yet, but thinking to buy one of the Back UPS Pro models for my home office. Since it will be basically in my bedroom I will likely have to completely turn off audible alarms in the Powershute software, since blackouts in our area often happen at night. If I do turn alarms off, will I still get a popup window from Powershute software on mycomputer when UPS switches to the battery power, so I have time to gracefully shutdown the PC?

    Also, if I am not at the computer during the blackout, will the computer be forcefully shutdown regardless off what is running on it and if there are open/unsaved documents at the time?

    Thanks in advance.

  • wpasquil
    Bill
    =S= Representative
    Bill 15 days ago (in response to Gordon)

    Hi,

    On 7/6/2017 11:42 PM, Gordon said:

    Since it will be basically in my bedroom I will likely have to completely turn off audible alarms in the Powershute software, since blackouts in our area often happen at night.

    Depending on the model of Back-UPS you purchase you can turn off audible alarms during a specific time period or entirely. Some of the lower VA / Watt models do not allow for the alarms to be disabled. 

    On 7/6/2017 11:42 PM, Gordon said:

    If I do turn alarms off, will I still get a popup window from Powershute software on mycomputer when UPS switches to the battery power, so I have time to gracefully shutdown the PC?

    Yes. 

    On 7/6/2017 11:42 PM, Gordon said:

    Also, if I am not at the computer during the blackout, will the computer be forcefully shutdown regardless off what is running on it and if there are open/unsaved documents at the time?

    Yes. When PowerChute is installed it enables hibernation on the computer so when a shutdown happens any unsaved files are saved to the harddrive and when the system is restarted the files are reopened. 

    I have attached a demo version of PCPE for you to review. 

    Attachments
  • Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Choose your language:  
powered by Communifire
Version 5.2.6402.40375