Loading ...
Home » Spaces » Universal Transfer Switch » discussion » General » UTS 10bi LCD Display digits starting to flicker

UTS 10bi LCD Display digits starting to flicker

Discussion in Universal Transfer Switch started by Jim , 10/17/2017 9:19 PM
Login to follow, share, and participate in this space.
Not a member?Join now
  • jk101563
    Jim
    Novice Novice
    Jim 10/17/2017 9:19 PM

Recently a couple of digits on the LCD display have started to intermittently flicker. It appears that the condition is related to the LCD display board.  Directing cooling air from a small external cpu fan to the display (with the clear protective cover removed) cools the display to approx 71 deg f and stops the flickering.  Without the fan, the display runs at about 80 deg f and flickering resumes.  The unit has been in service for 5 years without previous issues.  I have called into APC tech support, they indicated that the only replaceable parts are the fuses.   As an alternative to replacing the entire unit due to this flaw I would prefer to replace the LCD board which is simply socketed in.  I am reaching out as a last resort hoping to get some feedback or assistance on how to source a replacement.  Thank you

• markleabo
    Mark
    New Member New Member
    Mark 11/6/2017 1:35 AM (in response to Jim)

Mine have begun doing the exact same thing. Same model but less total time in use (about 2 years)

• jk101563
    Jim
    Novice Novice
    Jim 28 days ago (in response to Mark)

It will be interesting if any others see this issue.   I have permanently mounted a small cpu fan inside the cabinet aimed at the control boards, this has reduced the flickering, not sure if I want to order a replacement unit since it may happen again

• wayne_i
    Wayne
    Apprentice Apprentice
    Wayne 28 days ago (in response to Jim)

I see similarities with what appear to be "industry standard" 20 character by 2 line LCD displays. Confirm the dimensions and voltages for displays you may find if you search suppliers such as Digikey against your UTS display characteristics. You may also need to provide the matching connector either by transferring the header from your unit or buying a new one.

• jk101563
    Jim
    Novice Novice
    Jim 26 days ago (in response to Wayne)

Thanks for the input.   This DigiKey offering https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/newhaven-display-intl/NHD-0220DZ-FL-YBW/NHD-0220DZ-FL-YBW-ND/1701215    appears similar to the UTS display

• Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Choose your language: