Loading ...
home » spaces » Universal Transfer Switch » discussion » General » clicking noise coming from surge protector

clicking noise coming from surge protector

Discussion in Universal Transfer Switch started by kevin , 12/17/2008 5:00 AM
Login  to follow, share, and participate in this space.
Not a member?Join now
  • kpw212
    kevin
    kevin 12/17/2008 5:00 AM

I purchased an APC power saving surge arrest at Circuit City and whenever I log onto my laptop th surge arrest unit makes an odd clicking noise. The clicking noise happens when I type on the keyboard more so than when I'm not typing. The computer is brand new(gateway) Any ideas?

• TheNotoriousK.M.P.
    Kevin
    Apprentice
    Apprentice
    Kevin 12/17/2008 5:22 AM (in response to kevin)

Do you have the model number for the surge protector?

At first glance it sounds like you have one of the new G surge protectors which have the master controlled outlet for the laptop and then the controlled outlets for peripherals...

If that's the case, while the Surge protector is on and the laptop is on, the power draw from the laptop is so minimal that it's stabilizing exactly at the trigger point for the controlled outlets to turn on and off... You may want to plug the laptop into another outlet on the surge strip to see if the problem continues.

• kpw212
    kevin
    kevin 12/17/2008 11:00 PM (in response to Kevin)

Thanks, Notorius, you hit the nail on the head. The laptop was plugged into the master outlet. So I tried a different outlet on the strip and the clicking stopped. Problem solved, thanks again.

• TheNotoriousK.M.P.
    Kevin
    Apprentice
    Apprentice
    Kevin 12/18/2008 4:11 AM (in response to Kevin)

...I still got it!

• JoeMomma
    Matt
    =S= Representative
    Matt 12/20/2008 4:25 AM (in response to Kevin)

Nice work, KMP!

• Page 1 of 1 (5 items)