9 Replies Latest reply: Mar 5, 2012 5:53 PM by zloxc RSS

Test e-mail failed; SMTP configuration error

zloxc Member
Currently Being Moderated
Hi,

I have read several threads posted here regarding this issues, I have tried most of the tips, set NTP, reset, format and re-installed the NMC2 firmware but nothing happen, still get this error.
FYI, i have installed the NMC2(AP9631) card to my client UPS 1Kva. They also have NMC1(AP9619) which is working fine with their smtp configuration. There is also another NMC2 installed but facing the same problem SMTP configuration error.

Non working UPS:

Hardware Factory
---------------
Model Number: AP9631
Hardware Revision: 05
Manufacture Date: 05/12/2011

Application Module
---------------
Name: sumx
Version: v5.1.7
Date: Dec 1 2011
Time: 13:01:45

APC OS(AOS)
---------------
Name: aos
Version: v5.1.7
Date: Nov 22 2011
Time: 09:53:57

APC Boot Monitor
---------------
Name: bootmon
Version: v1.0.2
Date: Jan 21 2010
Time: 13:35:57

Working UPS:

Hardware Factory
---------------
Model Number: AP9619
Hardware Revision: A10
Manufacture Date: 06/21/2010

Application Module
---------------
Name: sumx
Version: v3.5.8
Date: 11/05/2008

APC OS(AOS)
---------------
Name: aos
Version: v3.6.1
Date: 08/13/2008

As attached i include both NMC config.ini, and NMC2 event.ini. They are not using DNS but just IP add. They are using mail server relay.

Does NMC2 needs DNS ? because I've tested the NMC1, without DNS , it still can send the email. If you need any further details please let me know.
Any help to solve this issue is much appreciated.
  • 1. Re: Test e-mail failed; SMTP configuration error
    Angela N. =SE= Employee
    hello - for what you typed, i do think we need DNS. you don't need it if you use the IP address of the mail server but you will need it to translate the domain names in the email recipient's addresses. else, you should use the IP address after the @ sign in the recipients email addresses. For example, techsupport@domain.com still requires DNS to translate the @domain.com portion. You should change it to techsupport@10.23.24.12 or whatever the IP is that it needs to look up to translate domain.com (for my example). i'd see if that works.

also, just so i know, can you elaborate a little more on how your mail relay works? is it to a server that doesnt require authentication and then to one that does?
  • 2. Re: Test e-mail failed; SMTP configuration error
    zloxc Member
    My client has put the DNS and it can resolve the mail relay. i attach the latest config.ini of the NMC2. Same error happened.
    As you mentioned, the mail relay doesn't require authentication and then to the exchange server.
  • 3. Re: Test e-mail failed; SMTP configuration error
    Angela N. =SE= Employee
    does the mail server record any connection attempts in its logs if you check there? it would be helpful to see that if it is, the mail server/relay log that shows the commands going back and forth to see if its failing. the error message your getting is not all helpful so don't worry about that.

i am looking for the SMTP commands going back and forth like these: http://the-welters.com/professional/smtp.html

alternatively, very commonly a packet capture helps us to see whats going on if possible.
  • 4. Re: Test e-mail failed; SMTP configuration error
    zloxc Member
    Hi,

FYI, my client also use Emerson UPS, so from the conversation with the APC support, the conclusion is Emerson UPS is not compatible with NMC2.

Thank you
  • 5. Re: Test e-mail failed; SMTP configuration error
    zloxc Member
    Just compatibality issue with Emerson UPS.
    Just of a piece of advice, use APC UPS only, do not mix up APC UPS with other UPS vendor. =)
  • 6. Re: Test e-mail failed; SMTP configuration error
    Angela N. =SE= Employee
    the card was installed in another manufacturers UPS??
  • 7. Re: Test e-mail failed; SMTP configuration error
    zloxc Member
    Sorry guys for the misunderstanding, The APC support guy and me had some misunderstanding regarding my problem but already cleared. It was my mistake. My client problem still not solved. Thank you for your enlightenment.

The card was installed in APC UPS not another manufacturers UPS.

He said that mail relay Microsoft server 2003 IIS and exchange 2003 is incompatible with NMC2? Is it true?

Message was edited by: zloxc
  • 8. Re: Test e-mail failed; SMTP configuration error
    Angela N. =SE= Employee
    we can send email to an Exchange 2003 server. that is one of the email servers we test with. as long as your mail server supports the EHLO or HELO command and has no authentication configured or basic email authentication (with no encryption enabled) AND you have the mail server setting set to local, then this should work fine.
  • 9. Re: Test e-mail failed; SMTP configuration error
    zloxc Member
    My client use mail relay microsoft 2003 IIS,

As we tested in our lab environment, we setup the mail relay and connect to the mail server. At first we also encountered the same problem, test email failed; SMTP configuration fail,
    Then we add domain in mail relay and it works. But still i wonder how actually this NMC2 communicate with mail relay.

I attached the working configuration mail relay. Really appreciate your explanation.

and it only successful when i put authenticated user in "From Address" box > Email server setting.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 8 points
  • Helpful Answers - 4 points