1 2 3 Previous Next 39 Replies Latest reply: Jun 1, 2010 11:07 AM by Rob Go to original post RSS
  • 15. Re: H15 Wiring OK light
    apcme Novice
    Currently Being Moderated
    How would shipping work under the warranty? Would the customer need to pay for shipping the defective unit to APC? How about return shipping costs?

Would the returned unit be subject to repair (if it can be repaired) as opposed to a new production replacement?

These are brand new units with a factory defect. Given this, I sincerely hope APC will agree to my reasonable requests. Please keep us posted. For now, I will return 1 unit to Vanns (the return window is nearly up). I should have 7 days or so on returning the second unit. Any idea when a decision will be made?
  • 16. Re: H15 Wiring OK light
    Don =SE= Employee
    Under normal factory warranty, if the failure occurs within 30 days of the unit being purchased/installed then we will pay for shipping both ways for the RMA and the replacement unit will be "truly" new. "Installed" means we will honor an install date after the purchase instead as long as it's not stored for a period of time that negatively impacts unit components or in an unsupported storage environment, i.e. many months in a damp, super-hot room. It sounds like these failures are being observed well within the 30 day window so that part is simple; for all of these we would do a full replacement with a new unit being sent to you and we would pay for shipping both ways. For those that are not observed within 30 days (not that I have heard of any that worked initially and then failed), for H15's we determine to be affected by this issue specifically we can do an RMA and pay for the shipping to the customer, but the return shipping policy and whether or not the unit is "truly" new are yet to be determined.

I see no reason why we would deviate from the above policy for "30-day failures" or why we won't extend that same policy to any unit affected by this specific issue, but I am working on confirming all of the above and also investigating any additional ways we can satisfy our customers who are affected by this issue so that when it is time to announce the official plan of action: a) there is no confusion and b) the plan of action is the absolute best we can offer.

Again, at this time the only part that I can confirm is that the warranty will be 5 years, just as it is now.
  • 17. Re: H15 Wiring OK light
    apcme Novice
    Do you have any idea on when a decision will be made?
  • 18. Re: H15 Wiring OK light
    Don =SE= Employee
    Not at this time, I will update further when I am updated.
  • 19. Re: H15 Wiring OK light
    Don =SE= Employee
    Hi All,

Just confirmed that we will be fully replacing H15/H15BLK units with this issue with brand new units in any case, regardless of purchase/install date. APC will also be paying for shipping both ways, to and from the customer, again, regardless of purchase/install date for customers affected by this issue. So, even though this issue has caused a little bit of concern/inconvenience, we'll be making sure no more inconvenience has to be faced :).

On another related note, we've found the root cause of the issue (internal, I can't discuss it but as we determined before it is not a "functional" issue) and after a little bit of further QA to verify perfect functionality, we will begin the process of addressing the issue at the manufacturing level so we can have good stock to ship out. Odd that this happened after years of making working H15s. I will update next when we are ready to start the replacement process.
  • 20. Re: H15 Wiring OK light
    apcme Novice
    Thanks Erasmus. I was out of town - sorry for the delay in responding.

Since the long term reliability of the correction/change to the unit is unknown, can the 5 year warranty be reset to the date the new unit arrives at the customer?
  • 21. Re: H15 Wiring OK light
    Cardinals Member
    I have the same problem with mine (H15 BLK) which arrived from Vanns on March 22. I called APC Tech Support first and they didn't know anything about it. I called Vanns next and they also didn't know so they gave me a return shipping label and I shipped it back to them that same day of March 22. Vanns then shipped me another new one which arrived today, April 2. It has the same problem, the Wiring OK light will not light up. The wiring in my house is perfect.

Erasmus, will I need to send this one back too? Vanns never e-mailed or called me saying, "sorry about the first one, this new one is fine." This was my first time ordering from them and I heard good things, but now I'm just a little ticked and will probably buy it from another company if necessary.

Thanks.
  • 22. Re: H15 Wiring OK light
    Don =SE= Employee
    Hi there,

apcme) Yes we will make sure the 5-year warranty starts with the new unit.

Cardinals) I can't speak for Vann's replacement policy, however to their credit they have most likely not been made aware of the issue and the fixes we are implementing so they likely thought the first was a fluke. Like I said we are in the process of addressing the issue in mfg. so that we can roll out fixed units to sales and RMA stock. We will update this forum when that process is in full swing and we can give an actual ETA.
  • 23. Re: H15 Wiring OK light
    Cardinals Member
    Thanks. I called Vanns and I will be sending this second unit back to them. I'll wait until you update us like you said when the new units are without the problem.

Message was edited by: Cardinals
  • 24. Re: H15 Wiring OK light
    apcme Novice
    It is my understanding that customers (like myself) will keep the H15 for now, and APC will fully handle the replacement/shipping as soon as new units without this problem are available. Is this correct Erasmus? Is there any way to get something more formal to customers other than this thread? I think you work for APC, but I don't really know for sure. :-)

This is my first experience with Vanns too. Great customer service and I had no problem with the first return. No cost to me for return shipping either. Good unit price too. I did let them know of this thread and the H15 problem. Hope they pull their remaining inventory to keep other customers from being inconvenienced. Guess they don't want to pull their inventory until confirmation of a problem. They sent me a return shipping label for the second unit too, but if my understanding (see above) is correct, I'll keep the defective unit for now.

Even though there is currently a problem with the H15, APC seems to be fully standing behind their product. Erasmus said that affected H15 units will be replaced with new units, they will pay for shipping both ways, and reset the 5 year warranty. Sounds like they know how to take care of their customers. :-)
  • 25. Re: H15 Wiring OK light
    Don =SE= Employee
    I believe I covered that in a previous post. Customers affected by this issue will receive a brand new (not refurb) unit when we have "good" stock, shipping will be paid both ways by APC, and the 5 year warranty will be maintained and refreshed for the replacement unit. Basically we are handling all sides of the replacement so that our customers are not inconvenienced or worried further. Also, just a repeat FYI, the units are functionally fine and no less capable of protecting the load equipment than working units, making this a "cosmetic only" issue.

I do work for APC, I am a Senior Single Phase Support Engineer and I have a direct path of communication to both the Global Support leaders and indirectly to the engineers responsible for fixing the issue. In short, what I say is and will be APC's opinion and policy for this situation.

FYI I have been promoted off the current team I am on and will stop administering/posting on these forums around April 20th. I will continue to look at this particular thread for the sake of making sure communication to our customers, and communication from our customers to our support staff, remains smooth. After April 20th "buzz" (another APC employee) will be the primary support contact for this forum thread.
  • 26. Re: H15 Wiring OK light
    apcme Novice
    Erasmus, thanks for the reassurance and thanks for your continued monitoring of this thread as well. Best of luck with your promotion too. I have another H15 question, but since it is unrelated to the wiring light I'll start another thread.
  • 27. Re: H15 Wiring OK light
    Cardinals Member
    Yes, thanks Erasmus. I will not be sending this one back to Vanns after all. I'll just get a replacement from APC when the indicator light problem is fixed. I called APC tech support today and they said to call back in about a month.

Thanks again for your help.
  • 28. Re: H15 Wiring OK light
    bborzell Member
    It appears that the H15 I received today has the wiring OK light problem as well. I am curious as to what will be the manner of notice regarding when APC will replace the units with this problem?
  • 29. Re: H15 Wiring OK light
    Laurie =SE= Employee
    You mean when will APC be replacing them? There hasn't been official word from engineering yet, but I'll definitely let you know when replacements are ready. In the meantime, I'd like to reiterate what Erasmus said - the unit is still functional, it's just that this LED isn't working properly.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...